1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic exponential map distance

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all. For some reason I have been having a lot of difficulty with this problem in Peter Petersen's text. The problem is
    Prove: ##d(exp_p(tv), exp_p(tw)) = |t||v-w| + O(t^2 )##

2. Relevant equations
    The exponential map is the usual geodesic exponential map. And ##d(p,q)## is the infinum of the lengths of all curves starting at ##p## and ending at ##q##. ##|v-w|## is in the norm of the metric of the manifold.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am aware that for small time the geodesics are length minimizing at that ##d(exp_p(v),exp_p(tv) = \int_t ^1|\gamma'|ds = \int_t^1|v| = (1-t)|v|## and that I can probably make a similar argument to get that locally ##d(exp_p(tv), exp_p(tw)) = |t||v-w| ##.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the explicit computation. I think intuitively I sort of understand what this equation is telling me but I'm having trouble with the proof. I have no idea how to work in the ##O(t^2 )##. I don't see any Taylor expansions or where non-linear terms would come in. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted