1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric expressions for a quarter circle cut at an arbitrary point

1. Aug 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am after finding general geometric expressions for a quarter-circle that is split into two segments along either its domain or range (they are equal). I.e. Taking the circle shown in Figure 1 and concentrating on the upper right quadrant, I am after expressions for the individual areas (top and bottom) and their respective centroids x1, y1 and x2, y2 (Figure 2) when cut at "c".

Figure 1:
    AL6SzPl.jpg

Figure 2:
    HZgQwgo.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Area of circle = ∏r[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Equation of quarter circle: y(x) = √(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]-r[itex]^{2}[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution

Apart from stating the obvious equations (above) I’m stuck on this problem.

I have searched my textbooks/google (using general key words) for expressions of this particular case with no luck.

I have never been strong with deriving expressions from first principals and would appreciate any ideas/push in the right direction. This is a problem directed at self-study, not homework.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2013 #2
    If you immagine the other half of the circle you can use the equation:
    [itex]\bar{y}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4Rsin^{3}(\frac{1}{2}θ[STRIKE][/STRIKE])}{3(θ-sin(θ))}[/itex]
    where θ is the theoretical angle to create the chord to get your y bar for the top section. Then you can calculate the y bar for the whole quadrant by using the equation:
    [itex]\bar{y}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4R}{3π}[/itex]
    Since the average of the top and bottom y bar have to equal the quadrant based on their area you can take the weighted average of the top area and the y bar with the weighted average of the bottom area equaling the total area and the total y bar. From that you can get your y bars and then you can do the same thing for the x bars. Might sound confusing so if you don't understand let me know, I'll try my best.

Area of top part:
    A=[itex]\frac{R^{2}}{2}[/itex](θ-sin(θ))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted