1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric product in electromagnetism

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    Hi. I've been learning how to use geometric algebra and I've been stumbling when I apply it to E&M. I am hoping someone here can point out what I am doing wrong.

The problem comes when trying to represent the field tensor in terms of the 4-potential. Here is the standard form:

[tex] F^{\mu\nu} = \partial^\mu A^{\nu} - \partial^\nu A^{\mu}[/tex]

[tex]\partial_\mu A^{\mu} = 0[/tex]

Here is the form presented in "Geometric Algebra for Physicists":

[tex] F = E + IB = \nabla A[/tex]

Here it uses the space time vectors [tex]\nabla = \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu , A = \gamma_\nu A^\nu: \mu, \nu= 0,1,2,3[/tex], the space time bi-vectors [tex]E = E^i \gamma_i \gamma_0 ; B = B^i \gamma_i \gamma_0: i = 1,2,3[/tex], and spacetime pseudoscalar [tex] I = \gamma_0 \gamma_1 \gamma_2 \gamma_3[/tex]

When I apply it to the 4-potential I get:

[tex]\nabla A = \gamma^\mu \gamma_\nu \partial_\mu A^\nu = \gamma^0 \gamma_0 \partial_0 A^0 + ... + \gamma^3 \gamma_3 \partial_3 A^3[/tex]

Now, at this point I make use of some identities: [tex]\gamma^0 = \gamma_0; \gamma_0 \gamma_0 = 1; \gamma^i = -\gamma_i; \gamma_i \gamma_i = -1: i = 1,2,3; \gamma_\mu \gamma_\nu = -\gamma_\nu \gamma_\mu[/tex]

When I do this to collect terms I should get a scalar, which represents the divergence of A = 0, and a set of bi-vectors which represents the field. But, instead I get numerous wronge signs.

[tex](\partial_0 A^0 + \partial_1 A^1 + \partial_2 A^2 + \partial_3 A^3) + (\partial_0 A^1 + \partial_1 A^0)\gamma_0 \gamma_1 + (\partial_0 A^2 + \partial_2 A^0)\gamma_0 \gamma_2 + ...[/tex]

The scalar is correct, but the bivectors should be, for example: [tex](\partial_0 A^1 - \partial_1 A^0)\gamma_0 \gamma_1[/tex]

Thank you for anyone that can help point out my misunderstanding.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Longstreet! :smile:

(have a nabla: ∇ :wink:)

Shouldn't F = Λ A ?

4. Dec 23, 2009 #3
    Thank you for your reply. However, [tex]\nabla A = \nabla \cdot A + \nabla \wedge A = \nabla \wedge A[/tex], from the lorenz condition [tex]\nabla \cdot A = 0[/tex].

I think I realized where the negative comes in. EG:

[tex]
    (\partial_0 A^1 + \partial_1 A^0)\gamma_0 \gamma_1 = (\partial^0 A^1 - \partial^1 A^0)\gamma_0 \gamma_1
    [/tex]

Because of the fact that [tex]x^\mu \gamma_\mu = x_\mu \gamma^\mu[/tex]. However, now I am a bit confused as to what difference it makes taking the derivative [tex]\partial_\mu[/tex] versus [tex]\partial^\mu[/tex] (besides a potential negative sign), and how to know when to use which one. I guess one interpretation is a unit like effect, as in bi-vectors have a area-like quantity associated with them.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  5. Dec 27, 2009 #4
    You can use either:

[tex]\nabla = \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu = \gamma_\mu \partial^\mu[/tex]

(the sign change for raising [itex]\partial_k = - \partial^k[/itex] is cancelled by the corresponding sign change lowering [itex]\gamma^k = - \gamma_k[/itex])

Use whichever is most convienent. For example, expanding the four-Laplacian in coordinates, use of both makes sense:

[tex]\nabla^2 = \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \cdot \gamma_\nu \partial^\nu = \partial_\mu \partial^\mu[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook