1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric progressions, i seem to be messing up on simple algebra

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    hello everyone, i'm trying to figure out this geometric progession and i'm checking it with my calculator and i'm definatley not getting what they are getting:

I'm trying to find the term after the last term, I found the ratio which is 3/2, now I must multiply that ratio by the last term which is:
    So i'd have:
    The calculator spits out:

I did this problem before and I got that I dont know where my brain is, but now i'm getting:

Becuase the 2 will cancel out the 8, and leave you 4, and 3 x 3^(n-3) is like 3^(n-3+1) = 3^(n-2)

What am I missing?

Here is the geometric progression and below is my work, once I apply the formula its simple aglebra and adding of exponents but I keep screwing it up.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2
    [tex] 4\times 3^{n-2} = \frac{4}{3^{2-n}} = (\frac{2}{3})^{2}\times 3^{n} = \frac{4}{9}\times \;3^{n}[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    thanks courtrigrad!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?