Is this sequence arithmetic, geometric, or neither?

In summary, we are discussing whether the sequence \frac{1}{1}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3}, \frac{1}{4}... \frac{1}{n} is arithmetic or geometric. Using the common difference and common ratio formulas, it was found that this sequence is neither arithmetic nor geometric, but rather a harmonic sequence defined by the sigma notation \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k}.
Lebombo

Homework Statement

Is the sequence [itex]\frac{1}{1}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3} , \frac{1}{4}...\frac{1}{n} [/itex] arithmetic or geometric?

Homework Equations

Common difference and Common ratio formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the common difference from [itex]a_{2} - a_{1} =d_{1}[/itex] and common difference from [itex]a_{3} - a_{2} =d_{2}[/itex]. Since [itex]d_{1}≠ d_{2}[/itex] , then this sequence is not arithmetic.

I did the same thing for the common ratio and found [itex]r_{1}≠ r_{2}[/itex]. So this sequence is not geometric either.

It is simply a sequence defined by the sigma notation [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{n}[/itex]P.S. I found these topics in an Algebra book, but the topic of sequences and series are also present in my calculus book. To moderators, free to move this to the Algebra section if it's felt that this topic would fit better there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Much appreciated.

Lebombo said:
It is simply a sequence defined by the sigma notation [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{n}[/itex]

Your expression is incorrect. It should be

$$\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k}.$$

The variable ##k## is what is being summed over, so it must appear in the sum. Here, n is the upper limit.

As written, [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{n}[/itex] is interpreted as ##\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=1}^n 1 = \frac{1}{n}n = 1##.

You made a similar mistake when writing the sum in your other thread. Be careful, otherwise your equations could easily be misinterpreted.

Thanks, although I'm still not 100% proficient on the sigma notation, that was a definite typo as opposed to not having the knowledge in a previous thread. Appreciate the correction.

[tex]\sum_{k=1}\frac{1}{k}[/tex]
is a series. You said this was a sequence which would be denoted as
[tex]\left\{\frac{1}{k}\right\}_{k=1}^n[/tex]

1. What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. For example, the sequence 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 is an arithmetic sequence with a common difference of 2.

2. How can I determine if a sequence is arithmetic?

To determine if a sequence is arithmetic, you can look at the difference between consecutive terms. If the difference is constant, then the sequence is arithmetic. You can also use the formula for the nth term of an arithmetic sequence, which is given by an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

3. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where the ratio between consecutive terms is constant. For example, the sequence 2, 6, 18, 54 is a geometric sequence with a common ratio of 3.

4. How can I determine if a sequence is geometric?

To determine if a sequence is geometric, you can look at the ratio between consecutive terms. If the ratio is constant, then the sequence is geometric. You can also use the formula for the nth term of a geometric sequence, which is given by an = a1 * r^(n-1), where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. What does it mean if a sequence is neither arithmetic nor geometric?

If a sequence is neither arithmetic nor geometric, it means that the difference between consecutive terms is not constant, and the ratio between consecutive terms is also not constant. In this case, the sequence may follow a different pattern or rule, and it would require further analysis to determine the pattern or rule.