Geometric series. Find the sum of the series. Powers.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
NotaPhysicist
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the sum of 9 terms of the series 3 + 3^(4/3) + 3^(5/3) + ...

Homework Equations



I'm just learning sequences and series and senior high school level. I'm finding it hard to apply a, ar, ar^(n-1), ... to this.

a = 3.

I don't know how to find common ratio. I'm confused. Once I know r I can apply the standard formula for summing the series.

The Attempt at a Solution




Any help will be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
NotaPhysicist said:

Homework Statement



Find the sum of 9 terms of the series 3 + 3^(4/3) + 3^(5/3) + ...

Homework Equations



I'm just learning sequences and series and senior high school level. I'm finding it hard to apply a, ar, ar^(n-1), ... to this.

a = 3.

I don't know how to find common ratio. I'm confused. Once I know r I can apply the standard formula for summing the series.

The Attempt at a Solution


Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In geometric series, the following term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by the common ratio r. Which, in turn, means that, you can obtain r by dividing the following term by the previous term; like this:

[tex]r = \frac{a_2}{a_1} = \frac{a_3}{a_2} = ... = \frac{a_n}{a_{n - 1}}[/tex]

So, can you calculate the common ratio in the problem above?