1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum sequence of a geometric series

1. Jun 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 'supa-ball' is dropped from a height of 1 metre onto a level table. It always rises to a height equal to 0.9 of the height from which it was dropped. How far does it travel in total until it stops bouncing?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The consecutive heights which the ball attains form a geometric series with first term a=1 and common ratio 0.9. Using the formula for the sum to infinity of the series, I am left with S = a/(1-r) = 1/0.1 = 10 metres
    However, the answer given is 19 metres. I don't understand how to get to this answer, is this just a typo?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2012 #2
    Hi thekopite! Welcome to PF :smile:

When the ball moves up 0.9h, it also comes down. You need to include that in your answer :wink:

4. Jun 22, 2012 #3
    Each bounce of the ball has an identical coming down length. For example, if the ball bounces 0.9 metres, it will also come down 0.9 metres, travelling a total distance of 1.8 metres.

5. Jun 22, 2012 #4
    Exactly....Except the first 1m fall :wink:

Edit : Oops...I thought the OP posted.:uhh:

6. Jun 22, 2012 #5
    thanks, i get it know. feeling a little dumb.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook