1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric Series - Finding a Partial Sum Equation

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    Is it possible to find the partial sum equation for (2^m - 1)/3^m, from m=0 to m=n-1?

I know that I'm supposed to rearrange the expression into the format ar^m, so the exponent m must only be on the value r, and not on the constant a. So far the farthest I've gotten is to rearrange it into (2/3)^m - (1/3)^m, but I have no idea what to do from there. I'm also not sure how I would go about proving that this expression can't be made into a partial sum, if it turns out it isn't possible.

Any input or hints would be a big help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2
    You can just sum up (2/3)^m and (1/3)^m separately with the usual formula, then subtract the results.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    Damn, that's one of those "smack-yourself-for-not-noticing-it" solutions. :smile: That makes perfect sense. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook