Geometric series partial sums question

In summary, a geometric series is a type of mathematical series where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. The partial sum of a geometric series can be found using the formula S_n = a(1 - r^n) / (1 - r) or S_n = (a(r^n - 1)) / (r - 1). The sum of an infinite geometric series can be found using the formula S = a / (1 - r), but only if the absolute value of r is less than 1. A geometric series can have a negative common ratio, which does not affect its convergence or divergence. A geometric series converges if the absolute value of the common ratio (r) is less than
cue928
I am looking at a geometric series problem that has already been worked out, so not assigned, but I do not see where they get a number:

Summation from n=1 to inf: 1/(n^2+4n+3)
In doing the partial sums, he has (1/2)* summation... 1/(i+1) - 1/(i+3)
I understand the breakup, but where does the "1/2" come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because

[tex]\frac{1}{n+1}-\frac{1}{n+3}=\frac{2}{n^2+4n+3}[/tex]

But you want a 1 in the numerator...

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a type of mathematical series where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. The general form of a geometric series is a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ..., where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. How do you find the partial sum of a geometric series?

The partial sum of a geometric series can be found using the formula S_n = a(1 - r^n) / (1 - r), where S_n is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. Alternatively, you can also use the formula S_n = (a(r^n - 1)) / (r - 1) to find the partial sum.

3. What is the sum of an infinite geometric series?

The sum of an infinite geometric series can be found using the formula S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. However, it is important to note that the sum only exists if the absolute value of r is less than 1.

4. Can a geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric series can have a negative common ratio. In fact, the sign of the common ratio does not affect the convergence or divergence of a geometric series. It only affects the alternating signs of the terms in the series.

5. How do you determine if a geometric series converges or diverges?

A geometric series converges if the absolute value of the common ratio (r) is less than 1. In this case, the sum of the series will approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, if the absolute value of r is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge and the sum will approach infinity.