Geometrical interpretation of dot product?

In summary, Stephen is trying to figure out how to use the cosine (theta) notation to represent a dot product in 3-D. He is stuck because he does not know how to transform from cosine (theta) notation to cartesian coordinate system. However, he is grateful for any help that is offered.
excalibur313
Does anyone know what the geometrical interpretation of a dot product in 3-D is? I am calculating the dot product between two vectors in 3d and need to use the |a||b|cos(theta) interpretation basically, but that is for 2d. Can I just tack on an additional cos(theta2)? Thanks a lot for your help!
-Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
excalibur313 said:
Does anyone know what the geometrical interpretation of a dot product in 3-D is? I am calculating the dot product between two vectors in 3d and need to use the |a||b|cos(theta) interpretation basically, but that is for 2d. Can I just tack on an additional cos(theta2)? Thanks a lot for your help!
-Stephen

Nope... it's still |a||b|cos(theta) where theta is the (smaller) angle between the two vectors. If you have the rectangular components of the vectors, you can use
a_x b_x + a_y b_y + a_z b_z (which you might which to prove).

The usual geometrical interpretation of the dot-product is related to a projection of one vector onto the other.

Thanks a lot for your help, but I guess I am wondering what the best way to approach this problemis. The idea is that the resulting value of this dot product is based on the angle between them. (Where it will be a bigger value if they are lined up parallel) so it isn't really apparent to me how best to transform from cosine(theta) notation to cartesian coordinate system. Yeah, sorry I'm not trying to turn this into a homework help session, but basically I want to integrate over all possible angles so a cartesian coordinate system would be messy I think.

Last edited:
Can you give a specific example... what do you have to start with?

Okay, well the rate of fret is proportional to K^2 where:
K=3(p1.r)(p2.r)-(p1.p2)
Where p1 and p2 are the transition dipoles and r is a vector pointing from the center of p1 to the center of p2. r remains constant so I have to find <k^2> so I basically want to integrate over all orientations of the two transition dipoles. If this was in 2d I could just integrate over theta 1 and 2 because the angle between p1 and p2 is just the difference between those two. It looks like this: (p1) | ------> | (p2) where the arrow is r and the two vertical lines are the transition dipoles and can rotate. Anyway, thank you so much for anything you can do.

1. What is a dot product?

A dot product, also known as a scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is a dot product geometrically interpreted?

The dot product can be interpreted geometrically as the projection of one vector onto another, multiplied by the length of the second vector. This means that the dot product measures the component of one vector in the direction of the other vector.

3. What is the significance of the dot product in geometry?

The dot product has many applications in geometry, including determining the angle between two vectors, finding the distance between a point and a line, and determining if two lines are perpendicular or parallel.

4. How is the dot product related to orthogonality?

Two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is equal to zero. This means that the two vectors are at a 90-degree angle to each other. In geometry, orthogonality is often used to describe perpendicular lines or planes.

5. Can the dot product be negative?

Yes, the dot product can be negative. This occurs when the angle between two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the projection of one vector onto the other will be in the opposite direction, resulting in a negative dot product.