Geometry & Topology REU Programs - Williams, Cornell, Tennessee, Indiana?

• Thread starter owlpride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu Thread
In summary: The letters of recommendation are very important. They should be from someone who knows you well and can write about your strengths and weaknesses in a way that is unbiased.
already hearing back? when was the deadline to apply? i just sent in all mine, should hear back in a few weeks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Duluth's deadline was February 10, one of the earlier ones. The ones I applied to aren't due until late February and early March.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from SMALL REU at Williams Colleges? Their deadline was also February 10, and I've been told that they are already in the process of making final decisions, but i am not aware whether they have started sending out their offers to their top candidates or not

Just got an offer from Texas A&M. If anybody else applied, they're apparently sending out their first round offers.

A list I applied to, Uni. of Minnesota, Cornell, Lehigh, North Carolina, Indiana University, Maria Mitchell, Arkansas, Wooster, Idaho, & Michigan. Most of the deadlines have passed, so now I guess I just wait.

Last edited:
union68 said:
Just got an offer from Texas A&M. If anybody else applied, they're apparently sending out their first round offers.

Congrats! What research topic will you be working on?

Thanks a lot! I put all my eggs in the REU basket (absolutely NO backup plan for the summer!), so it's a lot of weight off my shoulders to know I got in somewhere. Whew.

I applied for the Matrix and Wavelet Analysis project.

This thread was a good idea. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one caught up in this crazy REU fiasco!

union68 said:
I put all my eggs in the REU basket (absolutely NO backup plan for the summer!),

!

Last year i was in the same situation. Although i applied only to two REU's (and got rejected by both by the way), that was my plan A and the only one for the summer indeed. This year, i believe i am in a much much better position, however i have added plan B,C and D to my plan A, just to play it safe :)

sutupidmath said:
Has anyone heard back from SMALL REU at Williams Colleges? Their deadline was also February 10, and I've been told that they are already in the process of making final decisions, but i am not aware whether they have started sending out their offers to their top candidates or not

I haven't heard from any places yet, including SMALL and Duluth.

I'm new to the boards, and I had a quick question: Am I the only one who's still getting apps together? I've been sending them off a week (give or take) before the deadlines to ensure they get through the mail, am I completely screwed for not getting all of these done back in January?

I just mailed an application today and have one left to mail yet, due March 1. I'm generally mailing mine a week or so before the due dates as well.

By the way, congratulations union68!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! I put all my eggs in the REU basket (absolutely NO backup plan for the summer!), so it's a lot of weight off my shoulders to know I got in somewhere. Whew.

I applied for the Matrix and Wavelet Analysis project.

I was in the Matrix and Wavelets analysis group at A&M in Summer 2009. It was a lot of fun, but be prepared to do a good amount of work. It can be quite independent also, so you can be free to work on whatever you want. It's a great experience, and if you work hard enough, you can get a paper out of it. I highly recommend getting the book Frames for Undergraduates and start reading that as soon as possible. That will help give you some ideas for projects also.

blackfedora said:
I'm new to the boards, and I had a quick question: Am I the only one who's still getting apps together? I've been sending them off a week (give or take) before the deadlines to ensure they get through the mail, am I completely screwed for not getting all of these done back in January?

I have also done pretty much the same: sending off applications a week or two before the deadline. I still have one more to submit and the deadline is February 26.

Good luck to you!

BTW what places are you applying to?

sutupidmath said:
I have also done pretty much the same: sending off applications a week or two before the deadline. I still have one more to submit and the deadline is February 26.

Good luck to you!

BTW what places are you applying to?

the SMALL program, Clemson, SUNY potsdam, Central Michigan, UNC Asheville, MASS at Penn state, Lafayette, and finally the program at William and Mary.

I'm a little worried since I'm just an average math major coming from a small liberal arts college, but if I don't get in anywhere I guess I'll try to get some research here and if that fails... back to working at denny's? :gulp:

blackfedora said:
the SMALL program, Clemson, SUNY potsdam, Central Michigan, UNC Asheville, MASS at Penn state, Lafayette, and finally the program at William and Mary.

I'm a little worried since I'm just an average math major coming from a small liberal arts college, but if I don't get in anywhere I guess I'll try to get some research here and if that fails... back to working at denny's? :gulp:

I have also already applied to SMALL, and also planning on applying to REU Penn State.

From what I've heard, SMALL is supposed to be not that easy to get in. I got rejected last year, but i didn't have many math classes under my belt at that time (I have 3 more upper division, and two lower division math classes now), and much stronger references too, so I am hoping things will change this year.

Good luck to you!

EbolaPox said:
I was in the Matrix and Wavelets analysis group at A&M in Summer 2009. It was a lot of fun, but be prepared to do a good amount of work. It can be quite independent also, so you can be free to work on whatever you want. It's a great experience, and if you work hard enough, you can get a paper out of it. I highly recommend getting the book Frames for Undergraduates and start reading that as soon as possible. That will help give you some ideas for projects also.

Wow, thanks SO much for the info!

A&M is definitely high up on my "I'd like to go there"-list, so I'm seriously considering attending this one. I'd like to see what happens with Cornell, Connecticut and Nebraska though. However, I'd expect these schools to start dealing out acceptances in March and I have to let A&M know by March 5th. Uh oh.

That, and by all appearances it looks like every math-major in the country has applied to Cornell so I'd say my chances are slim there.

So, do I pass up a sure thing for a shot at one of the other REUs? I suspect this is a common question that many REU alums had wrestled with during applications.

sutupidmath said:

I got into both SMALL at Williams for Knot Theory and Texas A&M for Matrix Analysis and Wavelet Theory. I have not heard from anywhere else, since all the other places I applied to, the deadline is either later this month or in march. However, I decided to accept the offer at Williams and will be emailing the other programs about withdrawing my application.

Anyone else going to Williams?

union68 said:

Congratulations, I know the head of the program and he's just a great guy all around and so are the others involved. You'll enjoy it I'm sure. And word to the wise: since you'll be living here this summer, Antonio's Pizza is the best around. That said, I'm quite jealous of all the people getting offers already. The deadline for applications for every place I applied isn't for about another week so that means another 2-3 until I hear back.

mc15 said:
I got into both SMALL at Williams for Knot Theory and Texas A&M for Matrix Analysis and Wavelet Theory. I have not heard from anywhere else, since all the other places I applied to, the deadline is either later this month or in march. However, I decided to accept the offer at Williams and will be emailing the other programs about withdrawing my application.

Anyone else going to Williams?

MC15, congratulations! What math background qualified you for that position?

I would also like to know what your background looks like, I also applied to SMALL, but I didn't have much hope of getting in.

I wish I knew whether or not I'll get into any of these programs, it'll be pretty frustrating to put all of this effort into applying only to wind up back at square 1.

Oh, and congratulations, it sounds like you'll have a pretty good summer :)

shuichinho said:
What math background qualified you for that position?

Thanks!
I am currently a Junior, and have taken analysis as my highest level math class. I have a 3.9GPA, but 4.0 if you count only math major classes. I am also a math peer tutor, math grader, and female, but the SMALL application didn't ask for these things, so they had no way of knowing.
I got contacted by a SMALL Advisor a couple days after the deadline to schedule a phone call since I had made the short list. The call was more like a 10 min chat. I was having lunch at a restaurant when he called.
The email offer from Texas A&M said that my records were outstanding and that my recommendations were highly complimentary.
I think that the level of classes you take is important as are your grades in them but your recommendations are what really makes you stand out.

mc15 said:
Thanks!
I am currently a Junior, and have taken analysis as my highest level math class. I have a 3.9GPA, but 4.0 if you count only math major classes. I am also a math peer tutor, math grader, and female, but the SMALL application didn't ask for these things, so they had no way of knowing.
I got contacted by a SMALL Advisor a couple days after the deadline to schedule a phone call since I had made the short list. The call was more like a 10 min chat. I was having lunch at a restaurant when he called.
The email offer from Texas A&M said that my records were outstanding and that my recommendations were highly complimentary.
I think that the level of classes you take is important as are your grades in them but your recommendations are what really makes you stand out.

Congratulations for getting into SMALL! I was about to ask you the same question, but you already answered it. I also applied to SMALL, but being an international student my chances of getting in are really slim, since they accept international students only if funding is available.
My background is not too different from yours. I am 1st semester Junior. I am a math tutor, and i also grade for two classes; gpa 4.0. Upperdivision classes i have taken(currently taking) include Real Analysis I,II, Abstract Algebra I, Topology. I am still kind of hoping, but not really, especially now, knowing that they have already started sending offers out.

Also, did they contact you only through phone, or through email as well...because i actually do not have a cell phone at all ?:(

Congrats again!

EDIT: One more question to people who have similar experiences: Do you think it would be wise to send them an email and ask them about my application status, or simply wait?

I am inclined to email them and let them know that i would be more than willing to attend the program even if i do not receive any funding, as long as housing is for free! This way i might at least not get knocked out due to lack of funding. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
blackfedora said:
I also applied to SMALL, but I didn't have much hope of getting in.
Have you been contacted by anyone from SMALL or simply no answer yet?

The only international student I know at my college gave up on REUs for exactly this reason and is hoping to get something here at our school since the college has a fund for student researchers that is independent of the NSF, but I don't know if that's an option for you.

As for sending an email, I've been told it's a good idea to check up on your application status. Plus, email's free and I can't imagine they'd NOT take you because you bothered to send an email asking about the possibility of researching for free.

then again, I have no experience with applying to things like this, so maybe I'm not the one who should be commenting ><

Edit: I haven't heard from them, and at this point I assume that means I didn't get in. I haven't check on my status though because I'm still writing up my other apps and I don't want to get too down about it.

Last edited:
Congrats mc15!

The only reason that i am not too enthusiastic to inquire about my application's status and tell them that i would attend their REU even if it means only free housing, is because the deadlines for the three other REU's i am applying are either late this month or early March. Specifically, although i would be extremely happy to get into SMALL, my top choice is still BYU, of course if i would theoreticaly be accepted for the project in Non-commutative Algebra...and i also think i have a much better chance to get in there than SMALL. I guess i will wait until tomorrow and see what i will do!

It seems like no one is applying to the ones I am applying to, and it is making me wonder if they are reputable or not.

Canisus, UNC at Greensboro, Oregon State, UNC Ashville, Clairmont, James Madison, University of Utah, or University of Arizona anyone?

Snitse said:
It seems like no one is applying to the ones I am applying to, and it is making me wonder if they are reputable or not.

Canisus, UNC at Greensboro, Oregon State, UNC Ashville, Clairmont, James Madison, University of Utah, or University of Arizona anyone?

A fellow algebraist? I've applied to UNC Greensboro and Asheville and James Madison out of those.

Does anyone know what it means if I haven't received an answer from either SMALL or Duluth yet? From my understanding, it's bad for SMALL but good for Duluth, but really I have no clue.

Apparently Small has contacted it's top choices, while I suppose there's always the possibility that you'll be called later when someone turns down the position, I think it's pretty safe to assume you didn't make the cut if you haven't been contacted. (you could always email them and ask though)

This is what I figured. Thanks!

Dear Physicists out there,

Please invent a time machine so I can fast forward a few weeks to find out which REU's accepted me. Thanks.

Regards,

Newtime

blackfedora said:
The only international student I know at my college gave up on REUs for exactly this reason and is hoping to get something here at our school since the college has a fund for student researchers that is independent of the NSF, but I don't know if that's an option for you.

Can you send me the link to your math dept. web page?

Newtime said:
Dear Physicists out there,

Please invent a time machine so I can fast forward a few weeks to find out which REU's accepted me. Thanks.

Regards,

Newtime

I concur.

sutupidmath said:
Can you send me the link to your math dept. web page?

I go to a small liberal arts college with no graduate program, so the school provides funding for the students to do research with faculty. While this isn't limited to US citizens, it is limited to students enrolled at my school AFAIK. I was suggesting that you should talk to your own department and see if they themselves or someone they know might be looking for a student assistant. I don't know if this is something unique to my school, or perhaps to smaller liberal arts schools, but the departments here tend to take applicants from the pool of international students and kids who couldn't get into an REU starting in late March.

blackfedora said:
Apparently Small has contacted it's top choices, while I suppose there's always the possibility that you'll be called later when someone turns down the position, I think it's pretty safe to assume you didn't make the cut if you haven't been contacted. (you could always email them and ask though)

I have information that SMALL has not yet contacted all of its top choices! :) In other words, they haven't yet decided who their top candidates are, at least not for all positions. So, i guess there is still hope for some of us!