Geometry & Topology REU Programs - Williams, Cornell, Tennessee, Indiana?

• Thread starter owlpride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu Thread
In summary: The letters of recommendation are very important. They should be from someone who knows you well and can write about your strengths and weaknesses in a way that is unbiased.
surprised the world's comprised of passionate people? lol

Physics news on Phys.org
eNew said:
surprised the world's comprised of passionate people? lol

Actually, i envy you for being able to apply to as many as you wish!

What's the etiquette on letting other REU's know you've accepted an offer from a different one? Is it proper to email them before they notify you and ask to be taken out of consideration? I've also heard of some people waiting to see what else they get into to get a better idea of the strength of their application.

I would think that a polite "thank you for your consideration, but I have already been accepted to another program" would good if you feel like letting them know that you are no longer interested. It would save them the time of considering your application and allow them to make offers to their next choices sooner.
That said, I don't see any real harm in waiting until they accept you to decline if you'd like to see how successful your application was.

Has anyone heard from any other REUs today?

kungfumaster1 said:
Has anyone heard from any other REUs today?

I received an offer from SUNY Potsdam today, but I've already committed to UNCG.

Does anyone know what the Nebraska REU is like?

Has anyone heard from BYU, Penn State, and Mount Holyoke, recently? I know their deadlines just passed less than 4 days ago, but still.

I got an offer from Penn State today.

Looks like union68 is headed to the Lone Star State! I decied I'm going to A&M. The advisor seems like a really cool guy and I'm interested in the project, so I'm forgetting all my other applications.

Maybe I should not email the rest of the programs quite yet and just see where I got into? Just for laughs?

Based on the thread, I didn't get into Penn State or SUNY. I have my doubts about UCONN. Anybody hear anything from GVSU?

The programs that I applied to had deadlines between Feb 28th and March 5th. I'm going somewhat crazy now playing the waiting game...
Have most people gotten offers by phone or by e-mail?

Both Texas A&M and Nebraksa contacted me by email. I think further up somebody mentioned SMALL gave them a call.

I got 3 offers so far by email. Does anyone know anything good/bad about the programs at Central Michigan, Indiana, or Penn State? I really need help deciding...

mathlove said:
I got 3 offers so far by email. Does anyone know anything good/bad about the programs at Central Michigan, Indiana, or Penn State? I really need help deciding...

It actually depends on which topic you prefer. Generally I would recommend Penn State.

So far, I know I am rejected from Williams. But from reading this board, it looks like there are people who got an offer from SUNY Potsdam, Canisius, Indiana, and Penn State, and I have heard NOTHING from these places yet. Does this mean I have a very small chance of getting into these places?

mathlove said:

I agree with shuichinho. Which project most interests you? I'd email the advisors and talk to them a little bit. See if you can gauge what kind of people they are.

It was a series of emails between me and my soon-to-be advisor that convinced me to go where I'm going. I felt like he genuinely cared about my questions. That meant a lot to me -- I'm sort of old-fashioned that way.

Anyone else not hear back from Duluth yet? I'm a bit confused, though assuming rejection.

I was confused as well, so I emailed him maybe half a week ago, and he said I wasn't selected.

Just a silly question for those applying to Cornell REU. Do you guys recall having a question on their web application regarding whether Cornell is your first choice? My advisor told me that I have indicated that they arent mine, which make me feel kinda horrible. Neither can I recall doing so.

Yeah, I remember that. I remember thinking, "That was a stupid question."

I just clicked "yes," even though I was undecided as to who was my first choice. I can't imagine that the answer to that question will play a large role in their decisions.

To those that were accepted to Indiana (i.e. mathlove) were you assigned to a specific project yet? Which projects did you apply to & what is the deadline you must respond to them by?

Would now be too early to start asking about application statuses for REUs whose deadlines were this past Friday?

hommington said:
To those that were accepted to Indiana (i.e. mathlove) were you assigned to a specific project yet? Which projects did you apply to & what is the deadline you must respond to them by?

Yes, they assigned me to a specific project, and the deadline to reply to tonight.

I'll be attending Arizona's four-week summer program... anyone else?

What does anyone know about the Mount Holyoke program?

What about James Madison?

And LSU?

Anyone go to any of these or know anyone who did or anything...

Have you already heard back from the Mount Holyoke program?

kungfumaster1 said:
Would now be too early to start asking about application statuses for REUs whose deadlines were this past Friday?

algebraicgeom said:

kungfumaster1 said:
Have you already heard back from the Mount Holyoke program?
I would be interested in the answer as well! :)

Edit: For what's worth, a few days ago in an email they told me that they were not going to start sending out offers soon, even though their deadline was relatively early. But, still, this was a week ago, and things might have changed since.

Last edited:
algebraicgeom you may want to e-mail LSU to check the status of your application, because a day or so after their deadline they sent out offers.

algebraicgeom said:

I just got an email yesterday afternoon from Mt. Holyoke inviting me to their program. This is part of what it said:

It's been a week since the application deadline.* Due to other professional responsibilities, it has taken me longer than I intended, to make my decision and send out my invitations.* Thus, I am aware that some of you may have accepted one of your other offers.* If this is the case, please let me know so that I may offer your position to one of the other talented applicants.* Otherwise, please let me know if you would like to accept this offer (or decline for whatever reason).*

I thought this was weird because I had emailed them about 2 weeks ago to tell them that I had accepted another program and wanted to withdraw my application from consideration. However, I never got a response, so maybe they never saw it.

Anyone hear back from Cornell yet?

Nope, I haven't heard from Cornell. I even sent an email requesting to know by yesterday since I needed to respond to Penn State by then, and I didn't get any sort of response, not even a "no."

So I went ahead and accepted Penn State's offer. The Penn State program looks like a lot of fun, so I'm really excited. Not to mention it starts June 28, so I'll actually still get about two months out of school for summer break! Of course, I'll have to start next Fall semester almost right after the Penn State program is over, but at least this way I'll have a nice long solid break for once.

Yeah- I got into MHC.

algebraicgeom said:
Yeah- I got into MHC.

I am curious, what mathematical background do you have in terms of previous research experience and math courses taken?

algebraicgeom said:
Yeah- I got into MHC.

hommington said:
I am curious, what mathematical background do you have in terms of previous research experience and math courses taken?

Congrats! and which project are you in?

hommington said:

To be honest I think a lot of it, if not just about all of it is in the recommendation letter(s).

I have taken analysis, algebra, number theory, alg. geom, some graduate applied mathematics courses, theory of ode.

I have had a lot of research experience. I have done summer programs every year since my high school years. I am currently a sophomore.

EDIT: They didn't ask for research experience on the application.

Last edited: