Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Georgian - South Ossetian - Russian Conflict

1. Aug 8, 2008 #1
    How will the USA react ? From watching CNN, I'm a bit confused - will the USA try to act as a mediator between Russia and Georgia, or will it stand firmly on Georgia's side ? What are your predictions ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2008 #2
    What more can the US do other than sit back and watch? It's time for Europe and Nato to do something for once.

4. Aug 8, 2008 #3
    Well, as far as my (german) foreign minister Frank Steinmeier is concerned, I can assure you that he did something - he asked all sides for restraint (what a suprise, eh ?) and I guess this is what he will continue to do for the next days... weeks.... months...

5. Aug 8, 2008 #4
    Why should anyone get involved? Let the two sides fight it out.

6. Aug 8, 2008 #5
    That's what we said when Russia rolled into Czechoslovakia .... Great idea. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  7. Aug 8, 2008 #6
    I'm not familiar with the aftermath of that event. That country doesn't exist anymore. All I see now is a great opportunity for the US, Nato, Europe, et al to score brownie points with Russia ganging up against Georgia.

8. Aug 8, 2008 #7
    I don't think that all this is about anybody ganging up against Georgia. As far as I understand it, Georgia started the fighting by attacking seperatist South Ossetia:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/06/georgia.ossetia.ap/index.html#cnnSTCText

9. Aug 8, 2008 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Technically South Ossetia is a part of Georgia, so before Russian army entered the scene it was a civil war, not an international conflict.

10. Aug 8, 2008 #9
    I didn't know what was going on here so decided to read up on it. Apparently Georgia wants to join NATO, Russia is not cool with that, <insert bunch of non-sense here>, and now they are fighting.

I'm sure this has some political relevance. I just don't see what benefit(s) Georgia brings to the table besides a place to land American troops.

http://www.slate.com/id/2197155/

11. Aug 8, 2008 #10

Borek

Georgia want's to enter NATO as it is afraid of Russians, and not without a reason. Bordering Russia was always dangerous.

12. Aug 8, 2008 #11
    The Russians had peacekeepers in South Ossetia (Georgia claimed that the "peacekeepers" were in fact supporting the seperatists). As far as I know, when Georgia went into South Ossetia some of them were killed. Furthemore, Russia had given Russian passports to some of the South Ossetians. I have absolutely no idea whether this was legal under international law, but anyway, again this means that Russian citizens were killed. Russian president Medvedev was refering to this on TV.

13. Aug 8, 2008 #12
    I think I recall from some other thread that you are from Poland, right ? In this case of course you have very good reasons to think so. And even if not, yes I think your statement is true. But in this specific case I think its really much more complicated than "small helpless country is harrassed by big country and seeks help from NATO"

14. Aug 8, 2008 #13

Borek

Russia has a lot of experience in making things look in their favor. I don't know exact details about this particular conflict, but it would not surprise me if those Russian citizens have been granted russian passports and russian citizenship in the last two or three years. It will also not surprise me if some of them - being of the true Russian nationality - were relocated to Ossetia many years ago (perhaps even by Stalin) by force, just in anticipation of similar situation, to give a good excuse to use force when needed. That's what was done in Baltic republics.

In Polish we call it politics based on fait accompli.

Edit: and yes, I am from Poland.

15. Aug 8, 2008 #14

Borek

Note: I am not saying that Georgians are only victims, they have their own agenda as well. But it is obvious that Russia doesn't want Georgia in NATO and that independent Georgia is not a thing that Russia wants to have at border. Russia supports separatists in Georgia, Russia stops gas and oil delivery, Russia stops to buy Georgia produce and so on. This is a consistent policy, these are not separate and accidental things.

16. Aug 8, 2008 #15

russ_watters

Nato does stuff (Bosnia), but only when we direct them. I agree Europe needs to step up and take care of their own backyard. They say they don't like us being the world's policeman - so step up!

17. Aug 8, 2008 #16
    It has not been internationally approved to be independent country, though. Legally it is still part of Georgia as I understand.

Does this give Russians right to bomb pure Georgian territory? (By "pure" I mean not the conflict zone, but the areas far inside the country) There is no evidence showing that Georgians were shooting Russians. They might. But among so many people with guns, any provocation can be expected as well. In fact, there is also informational war going on: according to Georgian media Georgia has full control over Osetia, except for a single high-mountain village; while Russian media insists Russians have re-captured more than half of the territory...

Finally, if you compare sizes of Georgia & Russia, imho it's pretty clear, that Russian army can capture the entire Georgia within one night in pretty same way as Georgia did to Osetia yesterday. So better there appears some good International power which will cause both to shut up. It's strange that UN failed to make any decision for the second time...

18. Aug 9, 2008 #17

Borek

It won't be that easy. Most Georgia terrain lies in mountains, which makes it a very difficut military target. Sure, Russia military power will be overhelming, but Russia has learnt its lesson in Afghanistan the hard way, they don't want to try again.

19. Aug 9, 2008 #18
    I really hope that nothing that even comes close to this scenario (full scale and permanent occupation of Georgia by Russian troops) will happen. One further aspect that makes this whole mess so sad is that both Russians and Georgians are mainly orthodox christians ("most of the population of Georgia (82%) practices Orthodox Christianity and Georgian Orthodox Church is an influential institution in the country.", wiki). I'm not talking about the current events now, but the underlying conflict has been ongoing for more than a decade and obviously the leaders of the orthodox church on both sides failed to calm down the emotions. All this is very sad.

20. Aug 9, 2008 #19

Borek

This conflict dates back to Tzar's times, but current events are - to some extent - heritage of Soviet times. Soviet Russia was keeping peace in their teritory and its surroundings by force - not necesarilly used, but existing and ready to be used. In the rest of Europe things were settling down by other means - be it treaties, be it economic cooperation. Peoples Democracy camp was kept at bay because everyone was afraid of Russian Army (or neighbours armies - see Czechoslovakia in 1968), so many conflicts were not put down, but only hidden. Now they strike back.

21. Aug 9, 2008 #20
    Abkhazia might join the fighting:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,570829,00.html

(Der Spiegel is a german news magazine, quite reliable).

I started googling for Abkhazia when I read reports that they already are fighting against Georgian troops, but until now I have NOT been able to confirm this by sources I consider reliable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?