Get Current and Voltage with a Circuit with Diodes

In summary: Assuming diodes are ideal, V=0, and there is no current through R1, what is the current through R2?Assuming diodes are ideal, V=0, and there is no current through R1, what is the current through R2?I think I want to know why D1 and D2 both can't be on. Basically, I think I want to know why D1 and D2 both can't be on.
roinujo1

Homework Statement

Find the V and I in the circuit shown below:

upload_2016-10-20_12-21-44.png

Homework Equations

• D1 or 2 is off=short circuit
  • D1 or 2 is on=open circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

So, my confusion lies with deciding the on and offs of D1 and D2 . My assumption is that both of them are on and that is due to them in forward bias. However, when I looked online, D2 was off and D1 was on. Based on how the current is going into D2, how is D2 off?

Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
roinujo1 said:

Homework Statement

Find the V and I in the circuit shown below:

View attachment 107760

Homework Equations

• D1 or 2 is off=short circuit
  • D1 or 2 is on=open circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

So, my confusion lies with deciding the on and offs of D1 and D2 . My assumption is that both of them are on and that is due to them in forward bias. However, when I looked online, D2 was off and D1 was on. Based on how the current is going into D2, how is D2 off?

Any help is much appreciated!
Your Relevant Equations are backwards, BTW. On=short and Off=open for diodes.

What is the typical forward voltage for a silicon diode? What is the anode voltage for D2 if it is off? And if D2 were on, what would that do to the Anode voltage?

berkeman said:
Your Relevant Equations are backwards, BTW. On=short and Off=open for diodes.

What is the typical forward voltage for a silicon diode? What is the anode voltage for D2 if it is off? And if D2 were on, what would that do to the Anode voltage?
Thank you for the response!

Aww, I'm sorry. Yeah it does look like they are bakwards (was in a rush). Thank you for that.

Im sorry, but what do you mean by anode voltage? My assumption was that d2 was forward positive because:
upload_2016-10-20_18-46-39.png

Basically, I think I want to know why D1 and D2 both can't be on.

roinujo1 said:
Basically, I think I want to know why D1 and D2 both can't be on.
Look for circuit behavior contradiction(s) if you assume that both are on. For a quick evaluation, assume that the diodes are ideal (no forward voltage or resistance). What would be the potential V on your diagram? Determine all the currents through the components (should be simple if you know the potential drops on the resistors and KCL for the junctions). What do you get?

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It consists of a P-N junction and can be used as a rectifier to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC).

2. How is current affected by a diode?

A diode allows current to flow in only one direction, meaning it has a forward bias. This means that current will flow easily through the diode in the forward direction, but not in the reverse direction. This property makes diodes useful in regulating and controlling current in circuits.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and a diode?

A diode has a voltage drop across it, typically around 0.7 volts for silicon diodes. This means that when current is flowing through the diode, there will be a 0.7 volt drop in voltage across it. This can be useful in regulating the voltage in a circuit.

4. How do you measure current and voltage in a circuit with diodes?

To measure current in a circuit with diodes, you can use an ammeter placed in series with the diode. The ammeter will measure the amount of current flowing through the diode. To measure voltage, you can use a voltmeter placed in parallel with the diode. The voltmeter will measure the voltage drop across the diode.

5. What is the purpose of using diodes in a circuit?

Diodes have many uses in circuits, including rectifying AC to DC, voltage regulation, and protection against reverse current. They can also be used in logic circuits and as switches. Diodes are an essential component in many electronic devices and systems.