1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Get Current and Voltage with a Circuit with Diodes

1. Oct 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the V and I in the circuit shown below:

upload_2016-10-20_12-21-44.png
    2. Relevant equations
    • D1 or 2 is off=short circuit
    • D1 or 2 is on=open circuit

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, my confusion lies with deciding the on and offs of D1 and D2 . My assumption is that both of them are on and that is due to them in forward bias. However, when I looked online, D2 was off and D1 was on. Based on how the current is going into D2, how is D2 off?

Any help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your Relevant Equations are backwards, BTW. On=short and Off=open for diodes.

What is the typical forward voltage for a silicon diode? What is the anode voltage for D2 if it is off? And if D2 were on, what would that do to the Anode voltage?

4. Oct 20, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the response!

Aww, I'm sorry. Yeah it does look like they are bakwards (was in a rush). Thank you for that.

Im sorry, but what do you mean by anode voltage? My assumption was that d2 was forward positive because:
    upload_2016-10-20_18-46-39.png

5. Oct 21, 2016 #4
    Basically, I think I want to know why D1 and D2 both cant be on.

6. Oct 21, 2016 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Look for circuit behavior contradiction(s) if you assume that both are on. For a quick evaluation, assume that the diodes are ideal (no forward voltage or resistance). What would be the potential V on your diagram? Determine all the currents through the components (should be simple if you know the potential drops on the resistors and KCL for the junctions). What do you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted