Output voltage in circuit with diodes

In summary: Vin(t)...definition?Yes, I think so. I think the definition is problematic because it ignores the fact that the diodes are not ideal.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

diode.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since both D1 and D2 are forward biased for the positive half cycle for the voltage input , current will flow through them . Both the diodes offer very little resistance , but do they act like connecting wires when forward biased ?

I get option 3) i.e zero output because I feel potential drops across the two diodes will be equal . Am I correct ?

Since they are different diodes , could they offer small but different resistance to the current OR do we assume that both offer negligible resistance ?

Attachments

• diode.jpg
    diode.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,208
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
Since both D1 and D2 are forward biased for the positive half cycle for the voltage input , current will flow through them . Both the diodes offer very little resistance , but do they act like connecting wires when forward biased ?
Yes

EDIT: I made a mistake, thinking this is a standard full-wave rectifier, but it isn't.
In a f/w rectifier, D1 and D3 (or D2 and D4) are reversed.

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995
Jahnavi said:
Am I correct ?
I think so.

When forward-biased, replace the diodes with closed switches and when reverse-biased, replace them with open switches.
In both the cases, you get Vo=0V.

rude man said:
No.

Are you saying there will be a non zero output ?

cnh1995 said:
When forward-biased, replace the diodes with closed switches

My basic doubt is that will there be equal potential drops across D1 and D2 when they are forward biased considering they are not similar ( or are they ? With numbers just distinguishing them )

Vo(t) will be zero, except for a certain initial condition that is not specified in the problem. Can you see the issue? Look carefully at everything that is labeled in the drawing... :smile:

Jahnavi said:
Are you saying there will be a non zero output ?
No. The output is zero since the two current paths D1-D3 and D2-D4 cancel each other (assuming matched diodes).

Likes CWatters
+1 Symmetry makes it zero volts.

CWatters said:
makes it zero volts.
Except for when? :smile:

(even when the diodes are ideal and symmetric, there is an issue...)

The initial value Vo(0) is not given. If Vo(0) = 0, then it will remain zero. But if Vo(0) = 1V, it will decay to zero based on the value of the resistance...

Ooh yeah, there is a bigger problem! Namely, unless V0 is very small (< 1V or so) some diodes are going to burn out and all will be damaged!

Yeah, there's that too. Pretty strange way to define Vin(t), IMO.

berkeman said:
Yeah, there's that too. Pretty strange way to define Vin(t), IMO.
Pretty strange circuit too! Wonder if they meant it to be a full-wave rectifier ...?

rude man said:
No. The output is zero since the two current paths D1-D3 and D2-D4 cancel each other (assuming matched diodes).

Suppose first half of input voltage is positive , then all four diodes are forward biased. Current will divide between D1 and D2 . D1 current will flow through D4 and D2 will flow through D3 . Is this wrong ?

Please help me understand your reasoning . How is D1- D3 a current path ?

Jahnavi said:
Suppose first half of input voltage is positive , then all four diodes are forward biased. Current will divide between D1 and D2 . D1 current will flow through D4 and D2 will flow through D3 . Is this wrong ?
That is correct. :smile:

Likes Jahnavi
berkeman said:
That is correct. :smile:

But since D1 and D2 are different diodes , wouldn't the resistance offered by them and hence potential drops across them different .If that is true , there will be a potential difference across the middle resistor R ?

Jahnavi said:
But since D1 and D2 are different diodes , wouldn't the resistance offered by them and hence potential drops across them different .If that is true , there will be a potential difference across the middle resistor R ?
That is correct. So either the problem statement or the context of the problem (your professor's instructions and teachings in class) would need to tell you whether to use an ideal model for the diodes, or use a datasheet model (and which datasheet to use).

What have you been told to do for this problem?

And did you understand my comment about the strange definition of Vin(t)? Even if they are non-ideal 1N4148 diodes and you are told to use their datasheet to work the problem, if Vo(0) = 0V, it doesn't matter. Can you say why?

This is a high school level problem so I am not sure whether the problem setter has some implicit assumptions in his mind .

I think they are implicitly assuming that all ideal diodes even if different offer negligible resistance ?

Jahnavi said:
This is a high school level problem so I am not sure whether the problem setter has some implicit assumptions in his mind .

I think they are implicitly assuming that all ideal diodes even if different offer negligible resistance ?
Yes, at that level, they are probably assuming ideal diodes (0V = Vf, and infinite reverse impedance).

Did you understand my issue with the Vin(t) definition? :smile:

Likes Jahnavi
berkeman said:
Did you understand my issue with the Vin(t) definition? :smile:

I need some time to think on this :smile:

berkeman said:
Yes, at that level, they are probably assuming ideal diodes (0V = Vf, and infinite reverse impedance).

So if all the diodes are forward biased , can we treat them as connecting wires ?

But then where does the input voltage drop , I mean across which component ?

Is this situation similar to as if a battery is connected across a wire of negligible resistance ?

Jahnavi said:
So if all the diodes are forward biased , can we treat them as connecting wires ?

Is this situation similar to as if a battery is connected across a wire of negligible resistance ?
You are asking good questions! :smile:

Yes, dealing with ideal diodes is a pain, because zero voltage drop across them is non-physical, and leads to strange situations in some circuits. IMO, it's better to just think of the Diode Equation (check Wikipedia) when thinking about diodes. That gives you about 0.6V for Vf across them, with just Is as the reverse leakage current.

But even with real diode models in this problem, as mentioned by @rude man any input waveform over about 2x 0.6V peak will be clipped, and deliver power to the diodes potentially resulting in their destruction.

berkeman said:
That gives you about 0.6V for Vf across them,

This is the potential barrier voltage . But when a voltage is applied across the diode , this barrier potential is nullified . Isn't it ? It is this external applied voltage which we call as the potential across the diode ?

To me this looks like an obviously trick question. They want you to rush in, think it's a rectifier circuit and answer 1 when it's not. Answer 3 (zero) or 4 (none of these) are both valid answers depending on the assumptions you make about the diodes, the source etc.. So it's a poor question. I'd still answer zero.

Likes Jahnavi and cnh1995
Jahnavi said:
This is the potential barrier voltage . But when a voltage is applied across the diode , this barrier potential is nullified . Isn't it ? It is this external applied voltage which we call as the potential across the diode ?
Did you read the wikipedia page about the Diode Equation that I linked to in post #22?

Thanks everyone for contributing in this thread .

Jahnavi said:

This circuit is pretty goofy, so I wouldn't spend too much time analyzing it. In most simple diode circuits, you can often start by assuming ideal diode behavior (short circuit in forward conduction, and open circuit when reverse-biased). But in this circuit, that would short out the voltage source if there were any voltage source. But also in this circuit, the Vin(t) is identically equal to zero anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

1. What is the purpose of diodes in a circuit?

Diodes are electronic components that allow current to flow in one direction only. They are commonly used in circuits to control the direction of current flow and to protect other components from damage.

2. How does a diode affect the output voltage in a circuit?

A diode can affect the output voltage in a circuit by regulating the amount of current that passes through it. Depending on the type of diode and its placement in the circuit, it can either increase or decrease the output voltage.

3. What is the difference between a forward-biased and reverse-biased diode?

A forward-biased diode allows current to flow in the direction of its arrow symbol, while a reverse-biased diode blocks current in the opposite direction. This property is crucial in controlling the output voltage in a circuit with diodes.

4. Can a diode be used to regulate the output voltage?

Yes, diodes can be used as voltage regulators by connecting them in series with a resistor. This creates a voltage drop across the diode, which can be used to regulate the output voltage in the circuit.

5. What is the maximum output voltage that can be achieved with diodes in a circuit?

The maximum output voltage that can be achieved with diodes in a circuit depends on the type and number of diodes used, as well as the input voltage. Generally, the output voltage cannot exceed the input voltage, but by using multiple diodes in series or a voltage regulator circuit, higher output voltages can be achieved.