How to find the current and voltage in a circuit with current sources?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the current, voltage, and power delivered by an independent and dependent current source in a circuit with 2 parallel resistors. The individual is unsure of how to find the current due to the presence of the current sources and the lack of information on voltage. It is suggested to use nodal analysis to find the voltage, which will lead to determining the current and the power delivered by the sources. The individual is encouraged to ask questions if needed.
White_Physo
Summary: Facing a circuit with 2 parallel resistors and 2 current sources (1 dependent, 1 independent). Trying to find the current, voltage, power delivered by the independent current source and power delivered by the dependent current source.

I'm trying to start by finding the current i0 but I'm not sure how to because of the current sources and how it affect it. also I know that to find the current I should use I=V/R , but I only have R=2 and without V (Not really sure!).
Capture.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I moved your question to a homework thread. Next time, post it in the homework section, and fill out the template of required information the forum will provide.

Likes White_Physo
Whatever the voltage is across the 2 ohm resistor is also the voltage across the 8 ohm, from the fact that it's a parallel arrangement.

The circuit has only one essential node, so conciser using nodal analysis to find the voltage ##v_o##. With that, the current ##i_o## is obvious. The remainder of the questions to be answered (power delivered (or absorbed!)) should be evident after the node voltage is determined. If not, be sure to ask questions about that. We're here to help :smile:

1. How do I calculate the current in a circuit with current sources?

To calculate the current in a circuit with current sources, you will need to use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). This law states that the sum of all currents entering a node must be equal to the sum of all currents leaving the node. By applying this law at each node in the circuit, you can determine the current at each point.

2. How do I determine the direction of the current in a circuit with current sources?

The direction of the current in a circuit with current sources can be determined by using the passive sign convention. This convention states that the current will flow from the positive terminal of a current source to the negative terminal. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, it will be assigned a negative value.

3. How do I find the voltage across a component in a circuit with current sources?

To find the voltage across a component in a circuit with current sources, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR), where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the component. If the component has no resistance, then the voltage across it will be equal to 0.

4. Can I use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to find the voltage in a circuit with current sources?

Yes, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to find the voltage in a circuit with current sources. KVL states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must be equal to 0. By applying this law to different loops in the circuit, you can determine the voltage at different points.

5. How do I handle parallel current sources in a circuit?

When dealing with parallel current sources in a circuit, you can use the superposition principle. This principle states that the total current in a branch is equal to the sum of the individual currents from each source. You can calculate the individual currents by considering one source at a time and treating the others as if they are turned off. Then, you can add these currents together to get the total current in the branch.