1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Get the area between two curvess

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    Okay, so here are the two functions, f(x)= sqrt(x+3) and g(x) = (x+3)/2
    my first step was to get the intersection points and it came out to be x=1 or -3
    Then I drew a graph and that told me that the function sqrt(x+3) is always above the other function on the entire interval. So then I did integral f(x)-g(x) dx with upper and lower limits 1 and -3 and the integral gave me (using u substitution as well) 2/3(x+3)^3/2 - 1/4 x^2 +3/2x and then I put in the x values and got 13.3.

Okay so the problem is that the answer in the book is 4/3 and I have no idea where I have gone wrong. Can anyone put me on the right track and tell me where I went wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I believe the problem is in the integral. That x term looks wrong, I suggest you integrate again and see where you went wrong, because yours is different than my solution and my solution gets the right answer.

Just to be a bit more clear, your actual integral is correct, but you made an error integrating.

edit:

Misread something, but yeah what arildno says works :).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. Oct 2, 2012 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your flaw lies in your lack of parentheses in your integrated -g, you should have -(1/4x^2+3/2x) as your choice of anti-derivative, rather than what you wrote.

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4
    Thank you. I realize my error now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook