Getting Empirical Forumula Using Ideal Gas Laws

In summary: Actually it's just carbon monoxide. So that means everything in the decomposition is 1:1. I'll canker around with it and see where I can get. Dalton's pressure law seems a reasonable place to start.In summary, CxHy gets burned in oxygen gas and makes CO2 and water. Given the partial pressure of water and the total pressure of the resulting mixture I need to find the empirical formula.
Lancelot59

Homework Statement

CxHy gets burned in oxygen gas and makes CO2 and water. Given the partial pressure of water and the total pressure of the resulting mixture I need to find the empirical formula.

Homework Equations

Well PV=nRT is the obvious choice...but all the information you see there is all that's given. The only other thing I was able to find was the pressure of the CO2 just doing some subtraction. The problem doesn't state a volume, temperature or anything else.

Can I assume that temperature is a constant and eliminate it? How about volume? I'm not sure about that, if I can then it might help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem description is far too general. You must have some known given conditions.

Nope that's it. All we know is that a hydrocarbon was burned, and the pressure of the products. We can't assume standard conditions because the pressure is off.

There's another problem I couldn't solve:

A mixture of the gases CO and CH3COCH3 (acetone) is trapped in a 1.0 L flask. The pressure in
the flask registers 100 mmHg initially but the pressure registers 114 mmHg after the acetone in the
flask is caused to decompose according to the following reaction at the same temperature:
CH3COCH3(g) H C2H4(g) + CO(g) + H2(g)
If all the substances present are in the gas phase, and CO is unchanged by any chemical reaction,
what were the inital and final pressures of CO, assuming complete reaction of the acetone?

Again, how can I proceed? I don't think enough is known.

Lancelot59 said:
Nope that's it. All we know is that a hydrocarbon was burned, and the pressure of the products.

Well you didn't include the pressure in your posting. :wink:

Oops...

The total pressure of the mixture is 1.2 atm and the pressure of the H2O is .686 atm. That still doesn't help much...does it?

Yes it does - it gives you partial pressure of CO2, and that means you know exact molar ratio of H2O and CO2.

--
methods

Actually it's just carbon monoxide. So that means everything in the decomposition is 1:1. I'll canker around with it and see where I can get. Dalton's pressure law seems a reasonable place to start.

Sorry, misread the question - but it doesn't matter much, it is still molar ratio that counts.

--
methods

1. How do you use the Ideal Gas Law to determine empirical formula?

To determine the empirical formula using the Ideal Gas Law, you will need to first collect data on the number of moles of each element present in the gas. Then, using the Ideal Gas Law equation PV = nRT, you can calculate the number of moles of the gas. Finally, divide the number of moles of each element by the total number of moles to find the empirical formula.

2. Can the Ideal Gas Law be used for any gas?

The Ideal Gas Law is based on the assumptions that the gas particles have negligible volume and experience no intermolecular forces. Therefore, it can only be applied to ideal gases, which do not exist in the real world. However, for most gases at standard temperature and pressure, the Ideal Gas Law is a good approximation.

3. What are the units used in the Ideal Gas Law equation?

The units used in the Ideal Gas Law equation are pressure (P) in atmospheres (atm), volume (V) in liters (L), number of moles (n), and temperature (T) in Kelvin (K). It is important to make sure all units are consistent when using the equation.

4. How does temperature affect the Ideal Gas Law?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, temperature and volume are directly proportional, while pressure and volume are inversely proportional. This means that as temperature increases, the volume of a gas will also increase, and the pressure will decrease. This relationship is known as Charles' Law.

5. What are the limitations of using the Ideal Gas Law to determine empirical formula?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas is an ideal gas, which is not the case for most real-world gases. This can lead to inaccuracies in the calculations. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law does not take into account the presence of non-gaseous substances such as liquids or solids in the gas mixture, which can also affect the accuracy of the empirical formula determination.