Getting low marks even when you study hard

In summary: I think you'll find that it's more difficult, but it will be worth it in the end.This is the key. You cannot learn to swim by just reading about swimming or seeing someone else do it. You need to solve a significant number of problems in order to achieve proficiency and you need to be confident that you have solved them correctly. If you struggle with that confidence, then you need to ask someone until you are confident. Discuss it with your classmates and if that does not help, then you all have similar problems with that particular type of exercise and really should ask your teachers for clarification.
madhisoka
Post edited to remove offensive language
Hi, I have been upset lately due to getting a low mark in one of the most important courses in my life. I am a fourth year nuclear engineering student. I have been an average student since high school. my uni gpa is average too. I don't know if it's the way I study is what I am doing wrong or what. Here is a brief of my life /studying.

I am a rugby player, healthy person, I drink on weekends . Big fan of coffee . introverted

Studying. I study daily by rewriting professor's notes " Is that a waste of time "? . how do u guys study for core engineering courses ? doing problems isn't the best option since books have no manual and we don't have past papers also exams are usually based on derivations and mainly memorising the math .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say you rewrite the professor's notes, while you do this are you forcing yourself to understand each line that you write down? Or are you simply copying penstrokes?

What! No exercises in your books? Study them regardless of any answer keys. How do your solutions compare to what your class mates find? Also, are you asking professors for help? Are they refusing any? They might be, which would be a big problem if no solution manuals nor answer keys.

About rewriting classtime lecture notes, good idea. Use your book to help understand, and rewrite your notes to organize them better.

madhisoka said:
I have been an average student since high school. my uni gpa is average too. I don't know if it's the way I study is what I am doing wrong or what.
Maybe you've noticed that the courses get harder and harder as you progress through college. Getting average grades in college is probably a major factor in why you're getting low grades now.

madhisoka said:
I am a rugby player, healthy person, I drink on weekends .
I interpret this to mean that you consider weekends to be time off from studies. That strategy might work in some fields of study, but it's not helping you in engineering.

madhisoka said:
Studying. I study daily by rewriting professor's notes " Is that a waste of time "? . how do u guys study for core engineering courses ? doing problems isn't the best option since books have no manual and we don't have past papers also exams are usually based on derivations and mainly memorising the math .
Rewriting the professor's notes is probably a waste of time, especially if you don't put effort into understanding each line, as another member already said. Despite what you think, doing problems is a much better option, even if you don't have access to the answers. Do you think there's a solution manual for an engineer on the job? I would advise working the problems, and getting feedback on your work from the instrtuctor or a TA for the class or even from other students in your class.

Mark44 said:
Despite what you think, doing problems is a much better option, even if you don't have access to the answers. Do you think there's a solution manual for an engineer on the job? I would advise working the problems, and getting feedback on your work from the instrtuctor or a TA for the class or even from other students in your class.
This is the key. You cannot learn to swim by just reading about swimming or seeing someone else do it. You need to solve a significant number of problems in order to achieve proficiency and you need to be confident that you have solved them correctly. If you struggle with that confidence, then you need to ask someone until you are confident. Discuss it with your classmates and if that does not help, then you all have similar problems with that particular type of exercise and really should ask your teachers for clarification.

Likes symbolipoint
Mark44 said:
Maybe you've noticed that the courses get harder and harder as you progress through college. Getting average grades in college is probably a major factor in why you're getting low grades now.

I interpret this to mean that you consider weekends to be time off from studies. That strategy might work in some fields of study, but it's not helping you in engineering.

Rewriting the professor's notes is probably a waste of time, especially if you don't put effort into understanding each line, as another member already said. Despite what you think, doing problems is a much better option, even if you don't have access to the answers. Do you think there's a solution manual for an engineer on the job? I would advise working the problems, and getting feedback on your work from the instrtuctor or a TA for the class or even from other students in your class.
Another thought about the absence of answer key or solution manual: You do the problems or exercises, and YOU THEN HAVE YOUR OWN KEY ( as long as your solutions are correct - which why you should share or show & tell with other students). What counts here is that you MUST be confident about your solutions.

What causes students to get low marks even when they study hard?

There are several potential factors that can contribute to getting low marks even when you study hard. These may include poor study habits, lack of understanding of the material, test anxiety, distractions, and personal or external issues that may impact your ability to focus and retain information.

Is studying hard enough to guarantee good grades?

No, studying hard does not guarantee good grades. While studying is an important aspect of academic success, there are other factors such as test-taking strategies, time management, and understanding the specific requirements of the course that also play a role in achieving good grades. Additionally, some subjects may require different study methods than others.

What can I do to improve my grades even if I study hard?

There are several things you can do to improve your grades even if you are already studying hard. These may include seeking help from a tutor or teacher, improving your note-taking skills, practicing past exams or quizzes, finding a study group or partner, and seeking feedback on your assignments and exams to identify areas for improvement.

How can I avoid getting low marks despite studying hard?

To avoid getting low marks despite studying hard, it is important to analyze and reflect on your study habits and identify any potential areas for improvement. This may include creating a study schedule or plan, breaking down material into smaller chunks, seeking help when needed, and finding effective ways to manage test anxiety or other external factors that may hinder your performance.

What are some effective study habits for improving grades?

Effective study habits for improving grades may include creating a designated study space, setting specific goals and objectives, actively engaging with the material (such as through summarizing or teaching it to someone else), taking regular breaks, and staying organized with notes and assignments. It is also important to find a study method that works best for you and adapt it to different subjects or courses.