1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Giancoli Physics Book -- confused at meaning of "test charge" polarity

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    In the giancoli physics textbook for engineers and scientists, it says
    "E=F/q where E is the force on a small positive test charge at rest...."
    Then about one paragraph later it proceeds to say
    "If q is positive, F and E point in the same direction. If q is negative, F and E point in opposite directions".

I am confused. The text just said that the test charge in the E field equation will always be considered a -positive- charge, but then they talk about scenarios where it is negative, contradicting their own definition.
    and if a test charge was then (contradicting their definition) negative, and "big" Q is negative, both the e-field and the force would be repulsive, pointing in the same direction whereas they said "if q is negative F and E point in opposite directions" (which would only be true if you assume the direction of the e field -where negative source charge has e field towards it- because you have a positive test charge)

I do not understand what I am missing so any help in clarifying this problem would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the above, the role of the "test charge" is to define and/or determine the electric field, E, at some location. Many books use a subscript of zero when referring to the test charge, i.e., q0. Although it's usual to use a small positive charge for the test charge, the sign is not important. You get the same result for E using either polarity.

In the following, the charge referred to has nothing to do with the above test charge.:

If you know the electric field, E, at some location, then the force, F, on an arbitrary charge, q, placed in that location is given by F = qE. Of course if q is negative, F and E are in opposite direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted