Give a counter-example that shows Bolzano-Weirstrass is unvalid in IR2

• Thread starter tsuwal
  • Start date
In summary, Bolzano-Weirtrass theorem states that for a bounded sequence in the real number set, there exists a convergent sub-sequence. However, this theorem is not valid in IR^2 as shown by the counter-example Xn=(Cos(n),Sin(n)). This is because a bounded sequence in IR^2 may not have a convergent sub-sequence.
tsuwal

Homework Statement

Give a counter-example that shows Bolzano-Weirstrass is unvalid in IR2.

Intro:
Bolzano-Weirtrass theorem says that if a sequence (IN->IR) is bounded then there exists a convergent sub-sequence. (this is shown using the Cauchy sequence concept, showing that a Cauchy sequence is bounded and using the lemma of monotonic sub-sequences)

However, this is not valid valid in IR2, if a sequence (IN->IR2) is bounded then we can't assure that the exists a convergent sub-sequence.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not easy since you have the tendency of using a pattern. But I guess
Xn=(Cos(n),Sin(n)) might work...

Physics news on Phys.org

tsuwal said:

Homework Statement

Give a counter-example that shows Bolzano-Weirstrass is unvalid in IR2.

Intro:
Bolzano-Weirtrass theorem says that if a sequence (IN->IR) is bounded then there exists a convergent sub-sequence. (this is shown using the Cauchy sequence concept, showing that a Cauchy sequence is bounded and using the lemma of monotonic sub-sequences)

However, this is not valid valid in IR2, if a sequence (IN->IR2) is bounded then we can't assure that the exists a convergent sub-sequence.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not easy since you have the tendency of using a pattern. But I guess
Xn=(Cos(n),Sin(n)) might work...

Can you explain your notation? What are IN, IR and IR2? Bolzano Weierstrass is valid for sequences in ##R^2##.

IR=real number set
IN=natural number set

I'm sorry, I thought Bolzano-Weirtrass was not valid I am IR^2, my book was not clear in that part. I've consulted Wikipedia and confirmed that it is valid in IR^2. Sorry for the mistake.

Thanks.

1. What is the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem?

The Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem is a fundamental theorem in real analysis that states that every bounded sequence in IR2 has a convergent subsequence. This means that the sequence of points in IR2 will eventually get closer and closer to a single point, known as the limit point.

2. Can you give an example of a bounded sequence in IR2 that does not have a convergent subsequence?

Yes, consider the sequence {(1,1), (2,2), (3,3), ...}. This sequence is bounded since all points are within a distance of 3 from the origin. However, this sequence does not have a convergent subsequence since the points do not get closer and closer to a single point.

3. How does this counter-example show that Bolzano-Weierstrass is invalid in IR2?

This counter-example shows that not all bounded sequences in IR2 have a convergent subsequence, which contradicts the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem that states otherwise. Therefore, the theorem is invalid in IR2.

4. Is Bolzano-Weierstrass valid in other dimensions besides IR2?

Yes, the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem is valid in all dimensions of IR. However, it is important to note that the concept of boundedness and convergence may differ in higher dimensions.

5. Are there any other theorems that are similar to Bolzano-Weierstrass in IR2?

Yes, there is the Heine-Borel Theorem which states that a subset of IR2 is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This theorem also guarantees the existence of a limit point for any bounded sequence in IR2.