Give an example of an ohmic and non-ohmic device

In summary, an ohmic device is one that follows Ohm's law and has a linear relationship between electric field and current density, while a non-ohmic device does not obey Ohm's law and has a non-linear relationship between these two factors. Examples of an ohmic device include resistors, while an LED is an example of a non-ohmic device.
krnhseya

Homework Statement

Give an example of an ohmic and non-ohmic device.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Resistors - Ohmic device
Light Emitted Diode (LED) - Non-Ohmic device

I just need confirmation at the moment.
I am trying to answer some questions and this is all I have at the moment.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I hate to just say yes or no. What is the difference between an ohmic and non-ohmic device?

robb_ said:
Well, I hate to just say yes or no. What is the difference between an ohmic and non-ohmic device?

ohm's law - linear...directly proportional between electric field and current density. (so ohmic...)

non linear and doesn't obey ohm's law = non-ohmic

Fine then...yes those are examples.:biggrin:

robb_ said:
Fine then...yes those are examples.:biggrin:

Thank you!
I asked quite few questions so far in this forum but so hard to get confirmation!

Currently, working on diode's behavior in a circuit...

Well, we don't like to just give answers out here. I hope I didnt cross that line.

robb_ said:
Well, we don't like to just give answers out here. I hope I didnt cross that line.

Well, the book kind of states indirectly so I just needed confirmation. (Or is it the question that's asking me indirectly? :confused: )
Thanks though! :biggrin:

1. What is an ohmic device?

An ohmic device is a type of electrical component or circuit that follows Ohm's law, which states that the voltage across a component is directly proportional to the current passing through it. This means that the resistance of an ohmic device remains constant, regardless of the applied voltage or current.

2. Can you give an example of an ohmic device?

An example of an ohmic device is a resistor. Resistors are designed to have a specific resistance value and exhibit a linear relationship between voltage and current.

3. What is a non-ohmic device?

A non-ohmic device is an electrical component or circuit that does not follow Ohm's law. This means that the resistance of the device is not constant and changes with the applied voltage or current.

4. What is an example of a non-ohmic device?

A diode is an example of a non-ohmic device. Diodes have a non-linear relationship between voltage and current, meaning that the resistance changes depending on the direction of the current flow.

5. How can you tell if a device is ohmic or non-ohmic?

A device can be tested to determine if it is ohmic or non-ohmic. If the current through the device remains constant as the voltage is varied, then it is an ohmic device. If the current changes as the voltage is varied, then it is a non-ohmic device.