Give an example of an ohmic and non-ohmic device

  • Thread starter Thread starter krnhseya
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Device Example
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
krnhseya
Messages
102
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Give an example of an ohmic and non-ohmic device.

Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



Resistors - Ohmic device
Light Emitted Diode (LED) - Non-Ohmic device

I just need confirmation at the moment.
I am trying to answer some questions and this is all I have at the moment.
Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I hate to just say yes or no. What is the difference between an ohmic and non-ohmic device?
 
robb_ said:
Well, I hate to just say yes or no. What is the difference between an ohmic and non-ohmic device?

ohm's law - linear...directly proportional between electric field and current density. (so ohmic...)

non linear and doesn't obey ohm's law = non-ohmic
 
robb_ said:
Fine then...yes those are examples.:biggrin:

Thank you!
I asked quite few questions so far in this forum but so hard to get confirmation!

Currently, working on diode's behavior in a circuit...
 
Well, we don't like to just give answers out here. I hope I didnt cross that line.
 
robb_ said:
Well, we don't like to just give answers out here. I hope I didnt cross that line.

Well, the book kind of states indirectly so I just needed confirmation. (Or is it the question that's asking me indirectly? :confused: )
Thanks though! :biggrin: