Given an average cost function, calculate output level

In summary, the business should get out of the industry because the marginal cost is always positive and there is no feasible way to lower it.
A firm faces the following Average Cost function:

AC=50q^-1 +30-1.5q+0.125q^2

Calculate the output level (q) which minimzies
a) Average Variable cost
How do i find this out if i don't know the amount of fixed cost?

b) Marginal cost
Total cost=50+30q-1.5q^2+0.125q^3
MC=30-3q+0.375q^2
0=30-3q+0.375q^2
how do you solve this? the quadratic formula doesn't seem to work

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, AC is equal to that equation. The basic theory is that if we graphed it, and found the lowest point on that graph, that would be the minimum AC.

Now, to do that by hand, we need Differential Calculus, which I hope you have done. We have the Function [tex]AC=\frac{q^2}{8} -1.5q +\frac{50}{q} +30[/tex]. We take the derivative with respect to q, we get [tex] \frac{d}{dx} AC=\frac{q}{4}-1.5-\frac{50}{q^2}[/tex]. Now we set that equal to zero to find the lowest point. Make some manipulations and it should work out fine.

O, as for b), Why doesn't the quadratic equation work? Simplified it Looks like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{8} q^2 -q-10=0[/tex]
By the quadratic formula you get [tex]\frac {1+- (41)^{\frac{1}{2}}}{2}[/tex]

The +- part is plus/minus, not plus the negative.

He's right. You messed up a "+" sign. The equation he got has indeed roots with nonzero imaginary part.

Daniel.

the solution to this equation [tex]\frac{1}{8} q^2 -q-10=0[/tex] is i think [tex]4\pm4\sqrt{6}[/tex]

My god I am very stupid, I had a brain fart...

Edit: O wait no, i think i had it right...different equation...

Last edited:
first question:
how do i find the zeros for this equation
q/4-1.5-50/q^2
is there a way to do it by hand or you just have to graph it?

Hmm there is a way to do it by hand, but its a total pain in the ass And i don't think you would like it much. This is a cubic equation, which can be solved using Cardanos Method, but seriously, You will pee your pants..There are 3 zeros for this equation. If you can guess and check and find just 1, then its much much easier.

i used graphing calculator and found that one zero is 8.66, how can i use this and find other roots?

the other roots are not real (complex). if you have drawn the curve using a graphing calculator, you can see that the curve intersects the x-axis in only one point. that point is the only real solution.

ok, so the only solution is 8.66

for b)
the equation i got is 0=30-3q+0.375q^2
which i have trouble finding zero for.

for b) your equation is the same as
[tex]\frac{3}{8}q^2 - 3q + 30 = 0[/tex]

[tex]q = \frac{3 \pm \sqrt{(-3)^2 - 4\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)(30)}}{2\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)}[/tex]

but this also leads to imaginary roots.

Last edited:
I think the responses so far are somewhat too bogged down in the details of computing the solution. Take a step back and look at the original problem, which is a business/economics question. Whate value of q minimizes the marginal cost? Standard calculus procedure: determine where (a) derivative is zero, (b) derivative changes sign discontinuously, (c) the endpoints of the region of interest lie. Since this is a polynomial, (b) does not apply, and (a) leads to no solution. That leaves (c). What is the interval of interest? q represents the number of items manufactured or sold. It cannot be a negative number, so the interval of interest is the positive reals (or integers if you wish). Since the derivative is a parabola with positive leading coefficient, the derivative has a minimum but no maxumum. Since there are no zeroes, the minimum must be positive. Therefore the derivative is everywhere positive. Hence the minimum value of q is at the left endpoint of the interval of interest, i.e q=0. Conclusion, to lower your marginal cost, you should get out of this business altogether, since doing no business at all is the optimum solution.

Hope this helps!

--Stuart Anderson

1. What is a cost function?

A cost function is a mathematical function that represents the relationship between a company's total costs and the level of output it produces. It helps businesses determine the most efficient output level to minimize costs and maximize profits.

2. How do you calculate the average cost?

The average cost is calculated by dividing the total cost by the total output. This gives the average cost per unit of output.

3. What is the importance of calculating output level from a cost function?

Calculating the output level from a cost function allows businesses to determine the most efficient level of production that will result in the lowest cost per unit. This helps businesses make informed decisions about pricing, production, and profitability.

4. What factors can affect the cost function and output level?

The cost function and output level can be affected by various factors such as the cost of raw materials, labor costs, technology used, production efficiency, and economies of scale.

5. How can a cost function be used to improve business operations?

A cost function can be used to identify areas where costs can be reduced and efficiency can be improved. By analyzing the cost function, businesses can make strategic decisions to optimize their production processes and increase profitability.