1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given augmented matrix [A|0]: ->RREF ->x=?

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    Given augmented matrix [A|0]: -->RREF -->x=?

I started with:
    |0 1 0|0|
    |0-3 1|0|
    |0 0 2|0|
    --->RREF--->
    |0 1 0|0|
    |0 0 1|0|
    |0 0 0|0|
    The RREF is correct according to solution manual, but
    the solution manual says that the vector x =
    |1|
    |0|
    |0|

I think I understand why x_3 and x_2 =0, But I don't understand why x_1 =1.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

After have the "RREF" what do you do with it?

what that tells you is that solving Ax= 0 is the same as solving
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc}0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}x \\ y \\ z\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c}0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{array}\right][/tex]

which is the same as solving the equations 0x+ 1y+ 0z= 0, 0x+ 0y+ 1z= 0, 0x+ 0y+ 0z= 0.
    Obviously the first equation tells you that y must be 0. The second equation tells you that z= 0. The third equation doesn't tell you anything!

So how do you know that x= 1? You don't! In fact, x can be anything and <x, 0, 0> would still satisfy that equation. The solution is any multiple of <1, 0, 0>. The "solution space" is the vector space spanned by <1, 0, 0>. In fact, you could use <x, 0, 0> for any x but '1' happens to be a nice easy number.

4. May 4, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your help HallsofIvy, I misinterpreted the solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?