1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given marginal pdfs of X and Y, find pdf of Z=X-Y

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The probability density function of the random variables X and Y are given by:

[tex] f_1(x)= \begin{cases} 2 & -\frac{1}{4}\le x\le \frac{1}{4} \\ 0 & \text{elsewhere} \end{cases} [/tex]
    and
    [tex] f_2(y) \begin{cases} \frac{1}{2} & 0\le y \le 2 \\ 0 & \text{elsewhere} \end{cases} [/tex]

respectively.

a) Find the probability density function of the random variable Z=X-Y .
    b) What is the probability that Z will assume a value greater than zero?

2. Relevant equations

Not sure yet.

3. The attempt at a solution

There isn't an example like this in my book. I'm not sure how to go from marginals to the new variable thing, which I couldn't solve in an ordinary manner anyway! Sad sad sad. Am I supposed to make the marginals into a regular f(x,y), or is there some direct way to get to the Z?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume your book tells you how to compute the distribution of a sum of random variables such as W=X+Y.

One way to look at this is to invent a new random variable U=-Y. (Use Z=X-Y=X+(-Y)=X+U.) What does the distribution of this variable U look like? of X+U?

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unless you are given more information you cannot do the question:you need to know something about the joint distribution of the pair (X,Y). In particular, are X and Y independent? If they *are* independent, just let Y1 = -Y and look at X+Y1. The distribution of Y1 is easy to get, and surely the distribution of X+Y1 must be obtainable from material in your textbook or notes.

RGV

5. Nov 27, 2011 #4
    What I typed is all I have.

6. Nov 27, 2011 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So assume they are independent. As both Ray and I noted, your text or notes must have something to say about the sum of two independent random variables.

7. Nov 27, 2011 #6
    Hmm, it looks like if they are independent then [itex] f(x,y)=f_1(x)f_2(y) [/itex]
    From there, it's like any other random variable problem. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

8. Nov 27, 2011 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Arcana! :smile:

For adding or subtracting independent distributions, we have the convolution rule for distributions.

Suppose X and Y are independent probability distributions with probability density functions fX(x) and fY(y), and cumulative probability function FX(x) and FY(y).

If U=X+Y, then
    [tex]P(U \le u)
    = P(X + Y \le u)
    = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f_X(x) P(x+Y \le u) \textrm{ d}x
    = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f_X(x) P(Y \le u - x) \textrm{ d}x
    [/tex]
    so
    [tex]P(U \le u)
    = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f_X(x) F_Y(u-x) \textrm{ d}x
    [/tex]

And if you want to know the probability density of U, we have:
    [tex]f_U(u)= {d \over du}F_U(u) = {d \over du}P(U \le u)[/tex]

9. Nov 27, 2011 #8
    great, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook