1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marginal pdf, what am I doing wrong?

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(xy)=49/8*e^(−3.5*y) 0 < y < inf and −y < x < y

0 otherwise

a. Find the marginal probability density function of X, fX(x). Enter a formula in the first box, and a number for the second and the third box corresponding to the range of x. Use * for multiplication, / for division, ^ for power, abs for absolute value and exp for exponential function. For example, 3abs(x-5)exp(-x/2) means 3|x-5|e-x/2. Use inf for ∞ and -inf for -∞.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong here, I keep getting 7/4 and the bounds are from -inf to inf right?

2. Relevant equations
    The marginal pdf equation for x.

3. The attempt at a solution

I did the 8/49*∫e^(-3.5*y) from 0 to inf and got 7/4 with the bounds of x being from 0 to inf. What exactly am I doing wrong?

Or would the bounds be from x to infinity? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for the help

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all I think you should check the problem is typed correctly. I don't think what you have given is a density function. Second, draw a picture of the region where ##f(x,y)\ne 0##. You need to know that to know the correct limits for your integrals.

4. Mar 12, 2017 #3
    You're right, it was 49/8 not 8/49 for the constant. I tried drawing the picture, I got that the bounds seem to look like its from -inf to inf. But for the distribution wouldn't I have to get x in terms of y? That's why I thought the bounds would be from -x to x, since x < y and y > -x.

5. Mar 12, 2017 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your original statement of the problem had limits: 0 < y < inf and −y < x < y. That is the region where your ##f(x,y)\ne 0##. Now, the definition of the marginal density is$$
    f_X(x) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x,y)~dy$$You only have to integrate over the region where ##f(x,y)\ne 0##. For each ##x## you integrate in the ##y## direction. When ##x<0## where does ##y## go? When ##x>0## where does ##y## go? You need to look at your region. So let's see how you set up that integral.

6. Mar 12, 2017 #5
    Would I need to split it up and integrate x from -inf to 0, and then integrate x from 0 to inf?

7. Mar 12, 2017 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You aren't integrating ##x##. It it is a ##y## integral. You could start by answering the two questions I asked you above. It would also help if you would describe the region in words so I know you have the correct region in the first place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted