Marginal pdf, what am I doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the marginal probability density function of X given the function f(xy)=49/8*e^(−3.5*y) with given bounds. The attempt at a solution involves integrating over the region where f(x,y) is not equal to 0, which is from 0 < y < inf and −y < x < y. However, there is confusion in setting up the correct integral due to uncertainty in the bounds and how to handle negative values of x.
Rifscape

Homework Statement

f(xy)=49/8*e^(−3.5*y) 0 < y < inf and −y < x < y

0 otherwise

a. Find the marginal probability density function of X, fX(x). Enter a formula in the first box, and a number for the second and the third box corresponding to the range of x. Use * for multiplication, / for division, ^ for power, abs for absolute value and exp for exponential function. For example, 3abs(x-5)exp(-x/2) means 3|x-5|e-x/2. Use inf for ∞ and -inf for -∞.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong here, I keep getting 7/4 and the bounds are from -inf to inf right?

Homework Equations

The marginal pdf equation for x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the 8/49*∫e^(-3.5*y) from 0 to inf and got 7/4 with the bounds of x being from 0 to inf. What exactly am I doing wrong?

Or would the bounds be from x to infinity? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all I think you should check the problem is typed correctly. I don't think what you have given is a density function. Second, draw a picture of the region where ##f(x,y)\ne 0##. You need to know that to know the correct limits for your integrals.

LCKurtz said:
First of all I think you should check the problem is typed correctly. I don't think what you have given is a density function. Second, draw a picture of the region where ##f(x,y)\ne 0##. You need to know that to know the correct limits for your integrals.

You're right, it was 49/8 not 8/49 for the constant. I tried drawing the picture, I got that the bounds seem to look like its from -inf to inf. But for the distribution wouldn't I have to get x in terms of y? That's why I thought the bounds would be from -x to x, since x < y and y > -x.

Rifscape said:
You're right, it was 49/8 not 8/49 for the constant. I tried drawing the picture, I got that the bounds seem to look like its from -inf to inf. But for the distribution wouldn't I have to get x in terms of y? That's why I thought the bounds would be from -x to x, since x < y and y > -x.
Your original statement of the problem had limits: 0 < y < inf and −y < x < y. That is the region where your ##f(x,y)\ne 0##. Now, the definition of the marginal density is$$
f_X(x) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x,y)~dy$$You only have to integrate over the region where ##f(x,y)\ne 0##. For each ##x## you integrate in the ##y## direction. When ##x<0## where does ##y## go? When ##x>0## where does ##y## go? You need to look at your region. So let's see how you set up that integral.

LCKurtz said:
Your original statement of the problem had limits: 0 < y < inf and −y < x < y. That is the region where your ##f(x,y)\ne 0##. Now, the definition of the marginal density is$$
f_X(x) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x,y)~dy$$You only have to integrate over the region where ##f(x,y)\ne 0##. For each ##x## you integrate in the ##y## direction. When ##x<0## where does ##y## go? When ##x>0## where does ##y## go? You need to look at your region. So let's see how you set up that integral.

Would I need to split it up and integrate x from -inf to 0, and then integrate x from 0 to inf?

LCKurtz said:
When ##x<0## where does ##y## go? When ##x>0## where does ##y## go? You need to look at your region. So let's see how you set up that integral.

Rifscape said:
Would I need to split it up and integrate x from -inf to 0, and then integrate x from 0 to inf?

You aren't integrating ##x##. It it is a ##y## integral. You could start by answering the two questions I asked you above. It would also help if you would describe the region in words so I know you have the correct region in the first place.

1. What is a marginal pdf?

A marginal pdf (probability density function) is a statistical concept used to describe the probability distribution of a single variable, while holding all other variables constant. It is a way to analyze the relationship between two variables and determine the probability of one variable given a certain value of the other variable.

2. How is a marginal pdf different from a joint pdf?

A joint pdf describes the probability distribution of two or more variables together, while a marginal pdf describes the probability distribution of a single variable. This means that a marginal pdf is obtained by integrating the joint pdf over all possible values of the other variables.

3. What are some common mistakes when working with marginal pdfs?

Some common mistakes when working with marginal pdfs include not properly defining the variables and their ranges, not considering all possible combinations of the variables, and not using the correct formula for calculating the marginal pdf. It is important to carefully define and understand the variables and their relationships in order to correctly calculate a marginal pdf.

4. How can marginal pdfs be applied in real life?

Marginal pdfs can be applied in many fields such as economics, finance, and healthcare. For example, in economics, marginal pdfs can be used to analyze the relationship between supply and demand, and in healthcare, they can be used to determine the probability of a certain disease given a specific risk factor.

5. What resources are available for further understanding of marginal pdfs?

There are many online resources available for further understanding of marginal pdfs, including textbooks, articles, and tutorials. Additionally, consulting with a statistician or taking a statistics course can also greatly improve understanding and application of marginal pdfs.