Given sets A and B, prove that A is a subset of B (Apostol)

In summary, the student is having difficulty with proving a statement is a subset of another statement. The student is given a set of numbers and is asked to prove that a subset of the set is also in the set. The student is not given a way to prove that a subset is not in the set.
privyet

Homework Statement

Continuing with my Apostol efforts. From Section I 2.5:

These exercises go over some of the absolute basics of sets. In 3. I'm given A = {1}, B = {1,2} and asked to decide whether some statements are true or false, proving the ones that are true. Seeing which ones are true is no problem but I have no idea what the proper way to 'prove' them might be. For example, How do I prove that A is a subset of B

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume A is a subset of B, then for any x in A, x is in B...no idea

------------------------------------------------------
Another question (6.) gives us A = {1,2} and C = {{1}, {1,2}} and it asks if A is an element of C if so to prove it. I see that it is but once again have no idea how to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Definition of a subset:

A set U is a subset of X, U ⊂ X, if
∀z (z ∈ U → z ∈ X).

Are you able to manipulate that to answer your question?

The standard way to prove "A is a subset of B" is to prove "if x is in A then x is in B". If you are given that A= {1} and B= {1, 2}, then:

if x is in A, x= 1. 1 is in B. Therefore A is a subset of B.

To prove A is NOT a subset of B is easier- you just need a counter example- find one member of A that is not in B. If A= {1} and B= {{1}, {1, 2}} A is NOT a subset of B because x= 1 is in A but not in B (whose member are sets of numbers, not numbers.

To show that A is a member of B, just note that A= {1} so B= {A, {1, 2}}.

Thank you both. I'm afraid that I wasn't able to get to far using just the definition. Not really having any experience with proofs it is difficult to know what is sufficient, it seems that sometimes something ostensibly very simple or obvious has quite a complicated proof, so it's good to see the 'right' way to do it.

1. What does it mean for one set to be a subset of another?

When we say that set A is a subset of set B, it means that every element in A is also an element of B. In other words, all the elements in A are contained within B.

2. How do you prove that one set is a subset of another?

To prove that set A is a subset of set B, you need to show that every element in A is also an element of B. This can be done by using the method of direct proof, where you assume that an arbitrary element of A is also an element of B and then show that this assumption leads to a true statement.

3. Can you provide an example of a proof for A is a subset of B?

Yes, for example, let A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}. We can prove that A is a subset of B by assuming an arbitrary element of A, say x, and showing that x is also an element of B. Since x can be any element in A, this will hold true for all elements in A, thus proving that A is a subset of B.

4. Is it possible for a set to be a subset of itself?

Yes, it is possible for a set to be a subset of itself. This is known as the reflexive property of subsets. In other words, every set is a subset of itself because all of its elements are contained within itself.

5. What is the difference between a proper subset and an improper subset?

A proper subset is a subset of a set that does not contain all the elements of the original set. In contrast, an improper subset is a subset that contains all the elements of the original set. In other words, an improper subset is equal to the original set, while a proper subset is a subset that is smaller than the original set.