Given the ionization energy, find the number of protons

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 9K views
Quantum Mind
Messages
72
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A hydrogen like system has ionization energy of 11808 kJ/mol. Find the number of protons in the nucleus.


Homework Equations



Not sure.

Should I use the formula En = E1/n2?

The Attempt at a Solution



The ionization energy of H is 1312 kJ/mol. The ionization energy of the system is 11808 kJ/mol. Since this is hydrogen like system, it has only one electron in its outer shell and so the effects of electron repulsion can be ruled out. If I try to use the above formula, I am not getting the answer. Or should I use the complicated formula for total energy of the system and then try to find z from it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Mind said:
Should I use the formula En = E1/n2?

Not quite. Try En=-Z2E1/n2.
 
Thanks, but how do I find Z ?

En = 11808
E1 = 1312
Z = ?
n = ? (Is it the number of electrons in the outer shell? In that case it would be 1)

What to do with the negative sign ?
 
@ Spinnor: Thanks for the link. I posted before viewing your post.

Guess n = 1 and then it works out (at least I think so)

En = E1 * Z2/n2

11808/1312 = Z2

Z = 3, which incidentally is the right answer.

Is my working correct?
 
Z is the number of protons in the nucleus of this atom and n is the lowest energy level from which you remove an electron when you ionize it. In this case n = 1. Do nothing with the negative sign. It just means that you need to add energy to the atom in order to ionize it, i.e. end up with a nucleus and an electron separate from one another.
 
Quantum Mind said:
@ Spinnor: Thanks for the link. I posted before viewing your post.

Guess n = 1 and then it works out (at least I think so)

En = E1 * Z2/n2

11808/1312 = Z2

Z = 3, which incidentally is the right answer.

Is my working correct?
That is correct.