1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given value of a line integral, find line integral along different curves

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    Given value of a line integral, find line integral along "different" curves

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I think I've got this figured out, so I'm just checking my answers:

Suppose that

[itex] \int_\gamma \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r} = 17 [/itex],
    where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the oriented curve [itex]\vec{r}(t) = \cos{t} \vec{i} + \sin{t} \vec{j}[/itex],
    [itex]0 \leq t \leq \pi/2 [/itex].

Use this to evaluate the line integrals in 1-3.

2. Relevant equations
    1. [itex] \int_{C_1} \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex], where [itex]C_1[/itex] is the curve
    [itex]\vec{r}(t) = \sin{t} \vec{i} + \cos{t} \vec{j}[/itex],
    [itex]0 \leq t \leq \pi/2 [/itex].

2. [itex] \int_{C_2} \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex], where [itex]C_2[/itex] is the curve
    [itex]\vec{r}(t) = t \vec{i} + \sqrt{1-t^2} \vec{j}[/itex],
    [itex]0 \leq t \leq 1 [/itex].

3. [itex] \int_{C_3} \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex], where [itex]C_3[/itex] is the curve
    [itex]\vec{r}(t) = \sqrt{1-t^2} \vec{i} + t \vec{j}[/itex],
    [itex]0 \leq t \leq 1 [/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I realize that each curve [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] represents a quarter-circle in the first quadrant, and [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]C_3[/itex] have a counter-clockwise direction starting at [itex](1, 0)[/itex], whereas [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] have a clockwise direction starting at [itex](0, 1)[/itex].

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] is the same in each case, right? And if so, are the answers simply
    1. -17
    2. -17
    3. 17?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Given value of a line integral, find line integral along "different" curves

Sure. What could be wrong with that?

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3

:uhh: I'm not sure how to interpret that... It can easily be mistaken for sarcasm.

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not. I just meant that your understanding is clear enough I can't think what to add. Suppose I should have said that.

6. Sep 24, 2012 #5

Ok. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook