Given value of a line integral, find line integral along different curves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
SithsNGiggles
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
Given value of a line integral, find line integral along "different" curves

Homework Statement


I think I've got this figured out, so I'm just checking my answers:

Suppose that

[itex]\int_\gamma \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r} = 17[/itex],
where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the oriented curve [itex]\vec{r}(t) = \cos{t} \vec{i} + \sin{t} \vec{j}[/itex],
[itex]0 \leq t \leq \pi/2[/itex].

Use this to evaluate the line integrals in 1-3.

Homework Equations


1. [itex]\int_{C_1} \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex], where [itex]C_1[/itex] is the curve
[itex]\vec{r}(t) = \sin{t} \vec{i} + \cos{t} \vec{j}[/itex],
[itex]0 \leq t \leq \pi/2[/itex].

2. [itex]\int_{C_2} \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex], where [itex]C_2[/itex] is the curve
[itex]\vec{r}(t) = t \vec{i} + \sqrt{1-t^2} \vec{j}[/itex],
[itex]0 \leq t \leq 1[/itex].

3. [itex]\int_{C_3} \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex], where [itex]C_3[/itex] is the curve
[itex]\vec{r}(t) = \sqrt{1-t^2} \vec{i} + t \vec{j}[/itex],
[itex]0 \leq t \leq 1[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution


I realize that each curve [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] represents a quarter-circle in the first quadrant, and [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]C_3[/itex] have a counter-clockwise direction starting at [itex](1, 0)[/itex], whereas [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] have a clockwise direction starting at [itex](0, 1)[/itex].

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] is the same in each case, right? And if so, are the answers simply
1. -17
2. -17
3. 17?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


:rolleyes: I'm not sure how to interpret that... It can easily be mistaken for sarcasm.
 


SithsNGiggles said:
:rolleyes: I'm not sure how to interpret that... It can easily be mistaken for sarcasm.

It's not. I just meant that your understanding is clear enough I can't think what to add. Suppose I should have said that.