Glad to have this tool (another basketball problem)

• Thread starter interpretasl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary, the player must release the ball at a speed of 2.05m/s in order to make the shot. If the launch angle is 25 degrees and the ball was launched at the level of the player's head, the ball must be released at a speed of .91m/s.
interpretasl
May I first of all prelude this by saying that Physics has been a huge challenge for me. So, baby steps please.

Homework Statement

2.05-m-tall basketball player takes a shot when he is 6.02 m from the basket. If the launch angle is 25 degrees and the ball was launched at the level of the player's head, what must be the release speed of the ball for the player to make the shot? The basket is 3.05M above the floor.

Homework Equations

This is an area where I struggle. If I were given the formule, I, of course, could plug in the necessary information. I think...

Vo=0
Theta=25 degrees
Yo=2.05m above ground.
Y1=3.05m above ground
Ynet=1m (Y1-Yo)
Xo=0
X1=6.02m
t=? (sqrt 2y/g) (positive gravity because the ball is going up...right?):uhh:
v=?
g=9.8m/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

X=VXoT=Vo COS 25 degrees T = Vo(.99)T
Y=VYoT-1/2 g(t)sqrd=Vo SIN 25 degrees = Vo(-.13)T - 1/2g(t)sqrd

X=Vo.99T
Y=Vo-.13T-1/2(9.8)(t)sqrd = Vo-.13T-4.9(t)sqrd

This is as far as I can take it...obviously it can be taken further, but I'm not sure where or how to take it from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two points, first it looks like you are finding the values of your trig functions at 25 radians, not 25 degrees. Second, if you put T=0 in your X and Y equations you'll see that you get X=0, Y=0. So they are written with the origin of the coordinate system at the players head. This is fine, but bearing this in mind - what final values of X and Y do you want to solve for?

Huh?

I'm sorry, you lost me. I hate to be blunt but what would be the next step. I have no idea.

First off, correct the values of the trig functions. They are wrong for the reason I've already mentioned. Second correct your Y equation to include the initial position of the players head eg Y=Y0+VYoT-1/2 g(t)sqrd. Now put X=X1 and Y=Y1 into these equations and solve for V0 and T.

updated

X=VXoT=Vo COS 25 degrees T = Vo(.91)T
Y=VYoT-1/2 g(t)sqrd=Vo SIN 25 degrees = Vo.42)T - 1/2g(t)sqrd
so then you're saying
X=6.02=V(6.02)(.91)T
X=5.46VT
Y=Y0+VYoT-1/2 g(t)sqrd
Y=(2.05)+V(2.05)T-1/2g(t)sqrd
Y=2.05+V(2.05)T-4.9(t)sqrd

Okay...am I heading in the right direction? There are two unknowns..How do I take care of 2 unknowns?

yes you are headed in the right direction. By two unknowns which ones are you referring to? Never mind I see Dick's post now.

Bear with me, I'm confused a bit by the notation and need a moment so sort this out. I'll be back in a couple.

Last edited:
ok. let's look these over again just so we are on same page,

T=6.02/(Vo*cos25)

and Yf=Yi+Vo(sin25)*T+1/2aT^2 where a=-9.8 Note that Yf-Yi=1m

I suggest substituting the quantity 6.02/(Vo*cos25) for T in the bottom eqn.

Just a tip for future work--this applies here and on tests as well, try to avoid the temptation to do the arithmetic on the way. If you leave it in terms of the original quantities the logic is much easier to follow, and a small mistake in arithmetic will not cost you so many points.

Last edited:

1. How does this tool work?

This tool uses a combination of physics principles, such as force, velocity, and angle, to calculate the trajectory of a basketball shot. It takes into account factors such as the weight and size of the ball, as well as the distance and height of the hoop.

2. Can this tool help improve my basketball skills?

Yes, this tool can be used to practice different shots and learn how to adjust for different variables. By understanding the physics behind a successful shot, you can improve your accuracy and consistency on the court.

3. Is this tool accurate?

Yes, this tool uses accurate mathematical calculations and real-world data to predict the trajectory of a basketball shot. However, keep in mind that there are many factors that can affect the actual outcome of a shot, such as wind or the surface of the court.

4. Can I use this tool for different types of shots?

Yes, this tool can be used for various types of shots, including layups, jump shots, and free throws. You can adjust the variables and see how they affect the trajectory of the shot.

5. Is this tool suitable for all skill levels?

Yes, this tool can be used by both beginners and experienced players. It provides a visual representation of how different factors affect a shot, making it a useful tool for understanding the mechanics of basketball shooting.