Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GM and Segway plan electric two-wheeler

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5iDkrR9K_sSP-BxgI_CEdpYtl4VIA [Broken]

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gN4pf_E8M_gBzWETe8o8rmbLDdbQ [Broken]

Visionaries, or cockeyed optimists?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

wolram

Gold Member

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    Isn't it rather dangerous to move with such vehicle at such speeds?

5. Apr 7, 2009 #4
    It's scary to take such two wheeler out on the road. Imagine going up against an SUV, or if some drunk diver hits you.

6. Apr 7, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The same is true for motorcycles.

7. Apr 7, 2009 #6
    Scary as going on a bicycle?

They said this an urban car and going with traffic at about 20-30 km/hr isn't that dangerous (edit: oops that's ~50.. but then average speed will be about 30-40 km/hr.. still not dangerous IMO). But I think that looks no better than a tricycle:

http://technogra.ph/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/philippine-tricycle.jpg

8. Apr 7, 2009 #7
    The last desperate move from GM to get their hands on government funds.

9. Apr 7, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

While making sure that no serious electric cars get built - threatening the 100% markup SUV/Pickup market.

10. Apr 7, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One thing is for sure: The Volt isn't going to save them.

Effectively a $35,000 electric [plug-in hybrid] Corolla... :rolleyes: Yeah, those are going to sell like hotcakes.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  11. Apr 7, 2009 #10
    yea but there isn't that many people riding motorcycles. And if more and more people are going to switch to these mini-cars then there is a possibility of more serious and life threatening accidents. But if we are to rid of oil dependence, we have to make this transition.

12. Apr 7, 2009 #11
    and also this is not the time to put volt on the street because gas prices are very low

13. Apr 7, 2009 #12
    What a stupid and useless vehicle. Honestly, who the hell is going to buy one of these things?

14. Apr 7, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps it is time to claim the bike lanes for alternative vehicles? I could see a lot of commuters using these if they are cheap, keep you dry, and perform as claimed. Barring national economic collapse, we will never see bicycles as a commuter vehicle in the mainstream. While I applaud the cyclists, it will always be a fringe mode of transport.

In the same light, there is no way that I would be caught in one of these in normal traffic. There would have to be a dedicated lane.

15. Apr 7, 2009 #14

turbo

Gold Member

I'm not giving that vehicle much of a chance. You've essentially got a 2-seat electric wheelchair with a very small and odd profile. Most drivers wouldn't recognize it for what it is until they have already T-boned you in the intersection. Harleys with relatively loud exhausts (compared to cars) don't get any driver-recognition, either. The typical driver response is "He must have been speeding because I never saw him coming." I have locked up the brakes and dodged to avoid a woman running a red-light only to have her flip ME the bird, as if I had no right being on the road. I was running a decommisioned Road King Police Special at the time. How I wish I'd had the lights and siren.

16. Apr 7, 2009 #15
    NO. Cycling saves my health and yours (and the environment).

So give a car lane to these. Cars don't belong to cities.

17. Apr 7, 2009 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Bike lanes, you have bike lanes? Most of our roads don't even have shoulders. You're in the car lane. But it looks like the little two wheeler in the OP is for sidewalk use?

18. Apr 7, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While I'm not knocking cycling, any contribution to the environment is relatively insignificant, as will always be the number of cyclists who actually commute by bicycle every day.

I do think we should start driving that direction, so to speak. For years I have been arguing that we should go a step further: Any vehicle with a GVW > 4000 Lbs is limited to using the right-most lane of the freeway, just as large trucks are often required to do.

19. Apr 7, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In many parts of the country, bike-only lanes are common and could easily be opened for use by alternative vehicles, as could alternative bicycle paths that avoid the main roads. It does happen to be true that Portland is the most bicycle-friendly city in the country.

20. Apr 7, 2009 #19
    Cycling saves your health, because it doesn't produce NOX or COX (well maybe CO2, but that is only greenhouse gas and not relevant) and other undesired byproducts of combustion. In fact, I should be allowed to sue you for shortening my average life span.

21. Apr 7, 2009 #20
    I think I just saw a tear in my eye.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook