Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gm-C Integrator design

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    Gm-C Integrator design...........

Dear all,

I have been asked to design Gm-C continuous time integrator with no rigid specifications. I have used a two stage OTA with 46dB gain and applied a capacitor at the end as integrating element. But the circuit is merely acting as an amplifier and not integrator. It does not convert square wave into triangular..... What modifications do i need to bring? Circuit schematic attached....

http://images.elektroda.net/32_1284460009.jpg
    the circuit quite well acts as a low pass filter after installation of capacitor at the end...I believe just a capacitor at the end cant transform an amplifier into integrator......

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    Re: Gm-C Integrator design...........

I believe you need a large series resistor R between the amplifier and capacitor C, such that RC is long compared to the integration time. For 1% linearity, RC>=100 x square wave integration time.

Bob S

[added]
    Suppose after t=0 for square wave input, Vout(t) = V0[1-e-t/RC]

Then dVout(t)/dt = [V0/RC]e-t/RC

To achieve integration linearity of 1% (meaning dVout(t)/dt = constant) , e-t/RC >= 0.99 for all t

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook