1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Goldstein classical mechanics discrepancy?

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In Goldstein's text, he discusses conservative fields and then states that "friction or dissipative forces are never conservative since F dot ds is always positive."

From what I recall, most frictional interactions occur in directions opposite the displacement, and would, hence, result in negative values of the dot product. Shouldn't, then, the text read isntead: friction or dissipative forces are never conservative since F dot ds is always non-zero?

I have checked a few other classical mechanics texts and they all seem to have statements along the same lines- so I feel there is a detail I am missing here.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I still have my 1st edition of Goldstein that I used in a course 42 years ago. I found the quote on page 3 and lo and behold I see that I had circled the word "positive" and added a question mark in the margin! I think Goldstein meant to use the word "negative" here (even though you can construct scenarios where a force of friction does positive work).

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    That's remarkable TSny, thanks for checking!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook