Good book for Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the best ways to approach learning about Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics, with the main focus being on the books that would be most helpful for self-study. It is recommended to have a strong background in analytical mechanics and some knowledge of graduate-level texts, but there are also suggestions for more beginner-friendly books. The conversation also touches on the importance of Lagrangians and Hamiltonians in higher level studies.
Gopal Mailpalli
This book should introduce me to Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics and slowly teach me how to do problems. I know about Goldstein's Classical Mechanics, but don't know how do I approach the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gopal Mailpalli said:
This book should introduce me to Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics and slowly teach me how to do problems. I know about Goldstein's Classical Mechanics, but don't know how do I approach the book.
What's your level in physics and math? Also note that Goldstein's book contains a serious bug concerning anholonomous constraints!

vanhees71 said:
What's your level in physics and math? Also note that Goldstein's book contains a serious bug concerning anholonomous constraints!

Am in my final year of bachelors consisting of Mathematics and Physics. I don't have Lagrange's or Hamiltonian Mechanics in my course. I want to do a self study.
If there are any prerequisites before I start L & H. Please mention.

Then you should have the prereqesites for analytical mechanics. A good book is

F. Scheck, Mechanics - From Newton's Laws to Deterministic Chaos, Springer (2010)

vanhees71 said:

F. Scheck, Mechanics - From Newton's Laws to Deterministic Chaos, Springer (2010)

Would you mind adding any prerequisites before i start the book. I'll cross check and learn if I don't know anything.

1. Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics by Calkin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9810226721/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (and the corresponding https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9810237820/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

2. A Student's Guide to Lagrangians and Hamiltonians
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1107617529/?tag=pfamazon01-20

3. Schaum's Outline of Lagrangian Dynamics
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0070692580/?tag=pfamazon01-20

4. Landu and Lifsheitz - Mechanics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750628960/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dextercioby
What about Taylor's Classical Mechanics?

vanhees71 said:

But it's a Graduate Text and quite advanced for beginners. Any suggestion how do i approach this book so that I can grasp well.

Hm, that's difficult to answer. Usually this book is used in the introductory lecture on classical mechanics of the theory course in Germany. At our university in Frankfurt that's already in the 2nd semester. Perhaps also the corresponding volumes of Greiner's theory-book series is more detailed so that it's easier to get started with. In my own studies the standard text for that purpose was Goldstein. Another very good source is of course Landau-Lifshitz but that's at a higher level than Scheck.

vanhees71 said:
Hm, that's difficult to answer. Usually this book is used in the introductory lecture on classical mechanics of the theory course in Germany. At our university in Frankfurt that's already in the 2nd semester. Perhaps also the corresponding volumes of Greiner's theory-book series is more detailed so that it's easier to get started with. In my own studies the standard text for that purpose was Goldstein. Another very good source is of course Landau-Lifshitz but that's at a higher level than Scheck.
L&L, although at a high level, is surprisingly lucid and easy to read...

Gopal Mailpalli said:
But it's a Graduate Text and quite advanced for beginners. Any suggestion how do i approach this book so that I can grasp well.

You're finishing a degree in physics (and math too I suppose), you aren't a beginner anymore. Or at least, you shouldn't be. You're a year removed from graduate school, graduate level texts shouldn't intimidate you.

What texts did you use for upper division mechanics? Taylor, Marion?

Student100 said:
You're finishing a degree in physics (and math too I suppose), you aren't a beginner anymore. Or at least, you shouldn't be. You're a year removed from graduate school, graduate level texts shouldn't intimidate you.

What texts did you use for upper division mechanics? Taylor, Marion?

I agree what you said student100. I didn't have quality education in my high school. Am working myself and building up slowly. In my bachelors i didn't have any introduction to Lagrange's or Hamiltonian mechanics. Trying my best to build day by day. I didn't use any of the books above what you mentioned.

Gopal Mailpalli said:
I agree what you said student100. I didn't have quality education in my high school. Am working myself and building up slowly. In my bachelors i didn't have any introduction to Lagrange's or Hamiltonian mechanics. Trying my best to build day by day. I didn't use any of the books above what you mentioned.

Start with Taylor, afterwards you can move onto Goldstein/similar level text.

Likes NathanaelNolk
Housner & Hudson, Applied Mechanics Dynamics if it's still available.

Try V.I. Arnold, Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, or Abraham and Marsden, Foundations of Mechnics.

Walter Greiner, Classical Mechanics.

I studied Goldstein as a senior. However, over the next summer i read Landau and Lifshitz and found it much more compelling. I think that if you are planning to go to grad school, you should simply sit down and read Landau and Lifshitz. It is much, much shorter and has all you need for next steps (e.g, Messiah's two-volume set on quantum theory).

Likes dextercioby
Gopal Mailpalli said:
Schaum's series is best. also Melvin G. Calkin book on this topic.

Gopal Mailpalli said:
Am in my final year of bachelors consisting of Mathematics and Physics. I don't have Lagrange's or Hamiltonian Mechanics in my course. I want to do a self study.
If there are any prerequisites before I start L & H. Please mention.

I support your choice to learn about Lagrangians and Hamiltonians. They are awfully important in graduate and professional level studies.

1. What is the difference between Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics and Hamiltonian Mechanics are two different approaches to classical mechanics. While both are based on the principle of least action, Lagrangian Mechanics uses generalized coordinates and velocities to describe the motion of a system, while Hamiltonian Mechanics uses generalized coordinates and momenta.

2. Why is it important to study Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics?

Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics provide a more elegant and efficient way to describe the motion of a system compared to Newtonian Mechanics. They also have applications in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity.

3. What are some good books for learning Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics?

Some recommended books for learning Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach" by Jorge V. Jose and Eugene J. Saletan, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics?

A strong foundation in calculus and classical mechanics is necessary to understand Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics. Familiarity with differential equations and linear algebra is also helpful.

5. What are some common applications of Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics?

Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics have applications in various fields, including celestial mechanics, quantum mechanics, and fluid mechanics. They are also used in the analysis of mechanical systems in engineering and robotics.