Which books are good for Lagrangian/Hamiltonian formulations for continuum?

  • Topic: Classical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter thaiqi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books Continuum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
thaiqi
Messages
162
Reaction score
9
Can anybody suggest which books are good for Lagrangian/Hamiltonian formulations for continuum beyond The Classical Mechanics by Goldstein ( it seems a bit too complicated for my understanding.)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
check out classical mechanics by John R Taylor, i have heard its a very good book.
 
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
check out classical mechanics by John R Taylor, i have heard its a very good book.
Thanks for your suggestion. I browsed Chapter 16 roughly, but it seems to have no relation to Lagrangian/Hamiltonian formulation.
 
There are only a few books, where the Lagrangian formalism is used in continuum mechanics, I'm aware of. Of course, my all-time favorite for classical physics, A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 2 has a section on it for both incompressible and compressible ideal fluids.

For the relativistic case, you find it in a very elegant way in Soper, Classical Field Theory.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: atyy and etotheipi
vanhees71 said:
There are only a few books, where the Lagrangian formalism is used in continuum mechanics, I'm aware of. Of course, my all-time favorite for classical physics, A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 2 has a section on it for both incompressible and compressible ideal fluids.

For the relativistic case, you find it in a very elegant way in Soper, Classical Field Theory.
I think these two books are too hard for me to follow. Any other suggestions?
I found Scheck's Mechanics chapter 7 is a good introduction. Any other books alike?
 
Last edited:
robphy said:
Marsden & Hughes might be useful
https://authors.library.caltech.edu/25074/1/Mathematical_Foundations_of_Elasticity.pdf

The website of Darryl Holm may also be interesting:
http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/~dholm/classnotes/
I found below:
Hamill : A Student's Guide to Lagrangian and Hamiltonians.
Mann,Peter: Lagrangian & Hamiltonian dynamics
Fetter,Walecka: Theoretical Mechanics of particles and continua
Florian Scheck: Mechanics, From Newton's Laws to Deterministic Chaos
But all these books use one chapter/section(about 20 pages) to illustrate. I felt it not enough yet.
Besides, Florian Scheck's Classical Field Theory may be of help.
Any other books talking about it in detail?
 
thaiqi said:
I found below:
Hamill : A Student's Guide to Lagrangian and Hamiltonians.
Mann,Peter: Lagrangian & Hamiltonian dynamics
Fetter,Walecka: Theoretical Mechanics of particles and continua
Florian Scheck: Mechanics, From Newton's Laws to Deterministic Chaos
But all these books use one chapter/section(about 20 pages) to illustrate. I felt it not enough yet.
Besides, Florian Scheck's Classical Field Theory may be of help.
Any other books talking about it in detail?

I guess books on classical field theory may talk about it. Any such books on classical field theory?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71
jasonRF said:
A very detailed 2-volume monograph has been written by Berdichevsky. I have only flipped through it very briefly - it is certainly a graduate level text
https://www.amazon.com/Variational-Principles-Continuum-Mechanics-Fundamentals/dp/3540884661
https://www.amazon.com/Variational-Principles-Continuum-Mechanics-Applications/dp/3540884688

I haven't looked at Goldstein's treatment, but I suspect Berdichevsky isn't any easier.

jason
Thanks.
I think these two books may be of help:
Auria & Trigiante: From Special Relativity to Feynman Diagrams
Susskind: Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory: The Theoretical Minimum
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71