1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good books for learning Maths, Physics, & Chemistry?

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I'm about to start my year 11 & 12 studies. Among the compulsory subjects I'm going to take Maths, Physics, and Chemistry so I can later go into mechatronics engineering.

However, I find it difficult to study my text books even though I generally love to read and I'm often reading scientific books and websites over the internet. This just makes me think that the textbooks are not written to be 'fun'.

Are there any books that I could order via amazon or through the internet which will teach the concepts of year 11-12 maths, physics, and chemistry but which are also fun to read?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    Some people dont like laughing ideas, if you actully interested in books with colorful images you can search google for comic maths, comic chemistry etc, Im sometimes hanging around on twitter, facebook where i am introduced some free ,chapters of comicsof science , seems like a new trend for learners of basic stuff, very fun to read

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    I'm sure there are such books but I don't think they'll help you at all academically, assuming you're in the UK the key to success in A-Level (bad as it may be) is just learning the textbook you're given, there's no credit given to those who read around the subject or enjoy it, its all about learning the key definitions they think you ought to know.

That said, if you're looking for a book to read for pleasure, there are plenty you could read, Stephen Hawking etc.

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

https://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Guide-Physics-Larry-Gonick/dp/0062731009" is a classic. It covers the basics in a straightforward manner, and the funny-ish drawings really help some people 'latch-on" to important concepts. SOme schools use this as a supplemental text.

https://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-P...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264355985&sr=1-1" is one of the best textbooks out there. Very well written; simple but not simplistic. The edition published by Addison Wesley is the college version. The 11th 12th grade version is published by Prentice Hall. I have no idea why this is so. Both editions are pretty much the same, but the chapters are in different orders.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 3, 2010 #5
    Which book is suitable for engg.phy-ii

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook