What are some good books on inorganic chemistry?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Adesh
Messages
735
Reaction score
191
I'm a weak student in chemistry, by 'weak' I mean I lack some base I think. May please suggest some good books on inorganic chemistry? I want to study p-block, d- and f-block elements along with their important compounds and their preparation. Book should be concise as for me as a weak student will not be able to complete it in time.
Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you lack some basic things you probably don't need an inorganic chemistry book (they would go into minute details of the element properties, most likely well over your head). My bet is that any decent general chemistry book will be a good starting point, they typically have strong sections on inorganics.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint
I have Weller's 6th edition of Inorganic Chemistry. The 7th is now out and is probably just as good. You'll be able to find good insights on p, d, and f block elements if you pick it up. Other people recommend Miessler but I doubt it matters too much.
 
Cotton & Wilkinson saved my butt when I had to re-take an inorganic chem qualifier. It's well-organized and I found it easy to follow with only general chem knowledge. (I aced the exam on my second try.)