How much of analog circuits before digital circuits?

In summary: However, if you are intending on doing computer science related coursework, such as computer aided simulation or design, then it would be beneficial to have taken an analog electronic circuits course.
blazethrulife
Hi pf, first time poster, long time lurker.

The question that I have is: how much of analog electronic circuits must you know about before digital electronic circuits (I'm talking about the introductory level for both of these subjects). At my school, they offer a 2-part course in analog electronic circuits and a 1 part course in digital electronic circuits. The descriptions of each course is as follows:

115A. Analog Electronic Circuits I (4)
Lecture, four hours; discussion, one hour; outside study, seven hours. Enforced requisite: course 110. Review of physics and operation of diodes and bipolar and MOS transistors. Equivalent circuits and models of semiconductor devices. Analysis and design of single-stage amplifiers. DC biasing circuits. Small-signal analysis. Operational amplifier systems. Letter grading.

115B. Analog Electronic Circuits II (4)
Lecture, four hours; discussion, one hour; outside study, eight hours. Enforced requisite: course 115A. Analysis and design of differential amplifiers in bipolar and CMOS technologies. Current mirrors and active loads. Frequency response of amplifiers. Feedback and its properties. Stability issues and frequency compensation. Letter grading.

115C. Digital Electronic Circuits (4)
Lecture, four hours; discussion, one hour; outside study, seven hours. Enforced requisites: course 115A, Computer Science M51A. Recommended: course 115B. Transistor-level digital circuit analysis and design. Modern logic families (static CMOS, pass-transistor, dynamic logic), integrated circuit (IC) layout, digital circuits (logic gates, flipflops/latches, counters, etc.), computer-aided simulation of digital circuits. Letter grading.

The EE department recommends that I take Analog Electronic Circuits II (115B) before I take Digital Electronic Circuits (155C), but I was wondering if it would be okay for me to just skip the Analog Electronic Circuits II and just move on to Digital Electronic Circuits? Will I be at an annoying disadvantage during the course or will I do fine? Thanks for your input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Trying to read between the lines, it looks like 115A is mostly about linear circuit design and analysis . I guess 115B may be most useful for the "transistor-level digital circuit analysis" part of 115C, since digital circuits are rarely linear.

For the later topics in 115C, it depends it is more focused on how to use standard digital circuit coponents like flip-flops etc as part of a system, or on how to design and analyse the compoents at the level of individual transistors.

I would guess that a first digital course would probably be more about "how to use" than "how to design", but that's just my guess.

blazethrulife said:
Hi pf, first time poster, long time lurker.

The question that I have is: how much of analog electronic circuits must you know about before digital electronic circuits (I'm talking about the introductory level for both of these subjects). At my school, they offer a 2-part course in analog electronic circuits and a 1 part course in digital electronic circuits. The descriptions of each course is as follows:

115A. Analog Electronic Circuits I (4)
Lecture, four hours; discussion, one hour; outside study, seven hours. Enforced requisite: course 110. Review of physics and operation of diodes and bipolar and MOS transistors. Equivalent circuits and models of semiconductor devices. Analysis and design of single-stage amplifiers. DC biasing circuits. Small-signal analysis. Operational amplifier systems. Letter grading.

115B. Analog Electronic Circuits II (4)
Lecture, four hours; discussion, one hour; outside study, eight hours. Enforced requisite: course 115A. Analysis and design of differential amplifiers in bipolar and CMOS technologies. Current mirrors and active loads. Frequency response of amplifiers. Feedback and its properties. Stability issues and frequency compensation. Letter grading.

115C. Digital Electronic Circuits (4)
Lecture, four hours; discussion, one hour; outside study, seven hours. Enforced requisites: course 115A, Computer Science M51A. Recommended: course 115B. Transistor-level digital circuit analysis and design. Modern logic families (static CMOS, pass-transistor, dynamic logic), integrated circuit (IC) layout, digital circuits (logic gates, flipflops/latches, counters, etc.), computer-aided simulation of digital circuits. Letter grading.

The EE department recommends that I take Analog Electronic Circuits II (115B) before I take Digital Electronic Circuits (155C), but I was wondering if it would be okay for me to just skip the Analog Electronic Circuits II and just move on to Digital Electronic Circuits? Will I be at an annoying disadvantage during the course or will I do fine? Thanks for your input!

Unless the digital electronics course goes into the construction of the logic gates themselves you don't need to have taken analog circuits before digital circuits.

1. How do analog circuits differ from digital circuits?

Analog circuits use continuous signals to represent data, while digital circuits use discrete signals that are either on or off. Analog circuits are also more susceptible to noise and interference, while digital circuits are more immune to it.

2. Why is it important to have a good understanding of analog circuits before digital circuits?

Analog circuits are the foundation of digital circuits. A good understanding of analog circuits is necessary for understanding the fundamentals of how electronic devices work and how digital circuits are built upon them.

3. Are analog circuits still relevant in today's digital world?

Yes, analog circuits are still widely used in many electronic devices and systems. They are essential for tasks such as signal processing, amplification, and filtering, which are necessary for digital circuits to function properly.

4. Can someone with no background in electronics learn about analog circuits before digital circuits?

Yes, it is possible for someone with no background in electronics to learn about analog circuits before digital circuits. However, it may require more time and effort to understand the concepts and principles of analog circuits before moving on to digital circuits.

5. What are some common examples of analog circuits and digital circuits?

Analog circuits can be found in devices such as radios, televisions, and audio amplifiers. Digital circuits are used in computers, smartphones, and other digital devices. Both types of circuits are also used in combination, such as in a digital camera that uses analog circuits for capturing light and digital circuits for processing and storing the image.