Good Friis Transmission results

In summary, the conversation was about using a Friis Transmission calculator to determine the Received Power of a zigbee device. The Received Power was found to be 1.509e-9 mW and it was questioned whether this was good or bad. Another calculator was suggested that gave a Received Power of 9.433e-9 mW, but it was unknown if this was good or not. The sensitivity of the receiver was mentioned to be -100 dBm and the distance was 1 mile. The frequency, gain, and max power of the transmitter were also discussed. Finally, the conversation turned to the antenna gain or aperture and the recommendation was made to share the inputs used in the Friis equation. It was determined that
Engineering news on Phys.org
btb4198 said:
If I use this one http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_47&products_id=169,
I would get
Received Power: 9.433e-9 mW
but I do not know if that is good or not.

This is -80dBm. What is the sensitivity of your receiver? It should be better than -90dBm if it is a decent radio and you should be fine.
What is the distance that you are plugging into Friis? Is it line of sight (it will need to be for Friis to apply).

wait I get
Received Power: 3.396e-7 mW

not sure where that last number came from

btb4198 said:
wait I get
Received Power: 3.396e-7 mW

not sure where that last number came from

If you are getting 3.3e-7mW a mile away from your transmitter, it must be a really powerful transmitter.
Maybe you should share the inputs that you are supplying to the Friis equation.

BTW dBm is 10log(milliwatts)

the_emi_guy said:
If you are getting 3.3e-7mW a mile away from your transmitter, it must be a really powerful transmitter.
Maybe you should share the inputs that you are supplying to the Friis equation.

BTW dBm is 10log(milliwatts)
Frequency 900 MHz
Gain 5 dBi
Max. Power 50mW
I used this site :
https://www.pasternack.com/t-calculator-friis.aspx

the gain for the Tx is the same for the Rx because I am using the same antenna for both.

Everything looks correct.
You are getting exceptional range because:
1 - your transmitter is high power (+17dBm), most zigbees transmit at 0dBm.
2 - You are at 900MHz, not 2.4GHz. Lower frequency allows significant range increase.

btb4198 said:
Frequency 900 MHz
Gain 5 dBi
Max. Power 50mW
I used this site :
https://www.pasternack.com/t-calculator-friis.aspx

the gain for the Tx is the same for the Rx because I am using the same antenna for both.
What is the antenna gain or aperture?

1. What is Good Friis Transmission?

Good Friis Transmission (GFT) is a formula used to calculate the signal strength between a transmitter and receiver in wireless communication systems.

2. How is Good Friis Transmission calculated?

GFT is calculated by using the transmitter power, antenna gains, distance between the transmitter and receiver, and the frequency of the signal. The formula is GFT = Pt * Gt * Gr * (λ/4πR)^2 where Pt is the transmitter power, Gt and Gr are the transmitter and receiver antenna gains, λ is the wavelength of the signal, and R is the distance between the transmitter and receiver.

3. What are the benefits of using Good Friis Transmission?

GFT allows for the prediction of signal strength in wireless communication systems, which can help in the design and optimization of these systems. It also takes into account factors such as antenna gain and distance, which can greatly affect signal strength.

4. Are there any limitations to Good Friis Transmission?

Yes, GFT is based on theoretical assumptions and may not always accurately reflect real-world conditions. It also does not take into account factors such as obstacles or interference that may affect signal strength.

5. How can Good Friis Transmission results be used in practical applications?

GFT results can be used to determine the feasibility of a wireless communication system and to optimize its design. It can also be used to troubleshoot issues with signal strength and to predict the coverage area of a system.