1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good graduate text in quantum mechanics

1. Jun 10, 2014 #1
    Hello everybody.
    I am looking for a good graduate text in quantum mechanics. I studied from Griffiths during my undergraduate career and I loathed it. I thought it was sloppy and poorly arranged.
    Currently I have the one by Gottfried and Yan, "Quantum Mechanics: Fundamentals." I like it. It seems to be a formal treatment of the subject requiring a lot of engagement on the reader's part. However, sometimes it is too terse, in my opinion. I also know that some people love Landau's text. Here is my question: is Landau's a graduate text or an undergraduate text? Or does any of you have any other suggestion? (I know some people use Sakurai)
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 10, 2014 #3
    Thank you. What about Sakurai?

5. Jun 10, 2014 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Sakurai's not bad. But if your background if good enough to follow Ballentine, I would go for the latter.

6. Jun 14, 2014 #5
    Thank you for the suggestion. You were right, Ballentine is an excellent textbook, as far as I can tell.

7. Jun 20, 2014 #6
    i had the same question although i am an undergraduate student i would like a book more deeper than griffiths which could help me understand QM now and be a useful textbook for a graduate level..

Are there any other suggestions than Ballentine and Sakurai?

8. Jun 20, 2014 #7
    To be honest, now that I started reading Ballentine, I have to admit that it is an excellent textbook. If you have a strong mathematical background I would strongly suggest you take a look at it. Gottfried and Yan is very good, too, in my opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted