1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good High School Chemistry Book?

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm in Chemistry AP and the teacher highly recommends to study in parallel with a book of our choice. Is there a book out there that covers extensively topics such as quantum numbers, quantum notation, molecular geometry in 3 dimension, hybridization, intra-molecular geometry, etc... ?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2
    Chemistry by Raymond Chang. One of the best along with Zumdahl.

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3
    princeton review AP chem will do you wonders for the actual test.

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4
    silberberg - chem bible

6. Dec 6, 2006 #5
    I see diverse opinions.... need some more to make up my mind, please awnser!

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6
    Seconding Silberberg! It is great stuff. It is very comprehensive and accessible. I have been using it for the past two years and still find it useful from time to time, even when I am in organic chem (I would not recommend the book for organic chem at all, though). But it covers all of the things you have mentioned in great and comprehensible detail and then some...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  8. Dec 6, 2006 #7

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My son checked a number of books out of the local university library and settled on a book by whitten, davis (and some other authors) to go with his IB chem class.

9. Dec 6, 2006 #8
    Sorry to continue name dropping Silberberg, but at my school, we used it for the Chemistry IB Higher Level curriculum.

10. Dec 6, 2006 #9
    try General Chemistry by Linus Pauling. It is a Dover book, so it'll cost you about $20 as compared to the $100+ for a text...unless you plan to rent the thing.

11. Dec 7, 2006 #10

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Amongst the college texts my son looked at, Pauling's had the poorest overlap with the high school curriculum...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?