Good introduction to linear algebra?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of finding a more interesting and effective text for learning linear algebra. The speaker expresses frustration with traditional texts that focus on definitions before explaining their relevance, and suggests looking into applied linear algebra or alternative texts such as Meyer's Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra or Schaum's Outline. The speaker also mentions mathwonk's free online notes and the book Linear Algebra Done Right as potential resources.
Werg22
I have several books on linear algebra but they all bore me to death. What I find annoying is that they all focus on giving tons of definitions on the opening chapters only to elaborate on the relevance of those definitions later. What I am looking for is the opposite; a text that gives the meaning of the definitions right at the beginning. What do you suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could always pick up a text on applied linear algebra. Not necessarly the best way to learn the topic (rigor wise, at least in my university); however, just to get familar with the topic it is a pretty good alternative to the texts you seem to be bumping into.

Unfortunantly, I don't have my university's applied linear algebra text, so I can't cite it for you, but hey you can probably find something better by searching amazon.

Look at Meyer, Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra. It is excellent, and less boring than most. (It still isn't going to make the Times Bestseller list or Oprah's book club, however...)

Linear Algebra Through Geometry perhaps.

Dr Transport said:
Schaum's outline is good and cheap.

I have it :tongue2: Still boring... anyway thanks for all the answers. I have to say, Daverz, your suggestion is most interesting to me. I'll look into it.

You can check out mathwonk's free online notes for linear algebra.

I'm going to self-study linear algebra, and I recently decided to use Strang's Linear Algebra and its Application . How do you guys think about this one??

I have a copy of Strang's Linear Algebra

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and determinants.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it provides a powerful framework for solving a variety of problems in fields such as engineering, physics, computer science, and economics. It also serves as the basis for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. What are the key concepts in linear algebra?

The key concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in linear algebra.

4. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra is used in a wide range of real-life applications, including but not limited to computer graphics, data analysis, machine learning, and cryptography. It is also used in engineering for designing and optimizing systems, in economics for modeling and analyzing markets, and in physics for studying physical systems.

5. Is linear algebra difficult to learn?

Linear algebra can be challenging to learn, especially for those without a strong background in mathematics. However, with patience and practice, it is a subject that can be mastered. It is important to have a good understanding of basic algebra and geometry before diving into linear algebra.