1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good introduction for dirac notation

1. Jul 16, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,
    I m reading some theoretical physics paper that requires knowledge of dirac notation if someone could point me out to a good tutorial on it I come from a math background but I am studying this paper with my supervisor.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2014 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have already studied some QM (i.e have come across the SE and so on) I would recommend Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai.
    It is NOT a good book for absolute beginners, but then I don't think Dirac notation is usually covered in books for beginners (e.g. Griffith)

4. Jul 16, 2014 #3
    I always liked the introduction by Shankar in the first chapter of his book ("Principles of Quantum Mechanics"). It requires very little prior knowledge and is quite pedagogical.

5. Jul 16, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The above replies are excellent if you want to get used to Dirac notation and if you want to be able to work with it. However, if you want to understand what it really is, then you will need to study some mathematics. I suggest the excellent free book "linear algebra done wrong": http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html This will give you a good start. For ever more understanding, you will need functional analysis, but that might be overkill.

6. Jul 16, 2014 #5
    Thanks alot for the replies guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted