Good introductory book for chaos theory?

In summary, Sten Edebäck recommends Chaos and Fractals by Peitgen, Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos by Steven Strogatz, and Introduction to Dynamics by Percival and Richard.
StenEdeback
TL;DR Summary
Good book about chaos theory?
Hi,

I have undergraduate level knowledge about mathematics, quantum physics, and general theory of relativity. Now I am curious about chaos theory, and I would be grateful for suggestions of good introductory books to chaos theory. They may be both introductory and a bit more advanced.Sten Edebäck

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I liked Chaos and Fractals by Peitgen: Springer link As I recall it includes the Rossler and Lorenz attractor. Book's a bit old however but I liked it a lot.

Likes StenEdeback and jedishrfu
Nonlinear dynamics and chaos by Steven Strogatz is a classic and often the book used in introductory courses on the subject. It's exceptional well written and easily digestible. More advanced treatments of the subject depends on the direction you want to go in. Chaos is a big field with a lot of cross disciplinary applications.

Likes bigfooted, jasonRF, DaveE and 4 others
Of course there is the popular book by James Gleick. I love his writing and although this is 30 yrs old it still holds up as a popular foray.

Likes DaveE, StenEdeback, Buzz Bloom and 1 other person
If you happen to have access to John R. Taylor's Classical Mechanics there is a chapter dedicated to Chaos near the end. Obviously this will not be very comprehensive (in terms of breadth and depth), but his writing is comprehensive (in terms of accessibility!).

Another accessible text that's an alternative to Strogatz is Chaos: An Introduction to Dynamical Systems by Alligood, Sauer and Yorke. That's the one I used in my course some 15 years ago.

Likes StenEdeback
brainpushups said:
Another accessible text that's an alternative to Strogatz is Chaos: An Introduction to Dynamical Systems by Alligood, Sauer and Yorke. That's the one I used in my course some 15 years ago.
I seem to remember a great set of Strogatz lectures...MIT Open coursework maybe? I'll check later.

hutchphd said:
I seem to remember a great set of Strogatz lectures...MIT Open coursework maybe? I'll check later.

Here's someLooks great.

Likes StenEdeback
Yes those are the ones I meant thanks

Likes StenEdeback
Thank you all for good suggestions! Now I have a lot of books to look at. Physics Forums is really very good.

Likes brainpushups
While not a chaos book per se, Introduction to Dynamics by Percival and Richard is a nice introduction to dynamics. (yes, I am being tautological)

Likes StenEdeback

1. What is chaos theory?

Chaos theory is a mathematical concept that studies complex systems and their unpredictable behavior. It explores how small changes in initial conditions can lead to vastly different outcomes in these systems.

2. Why is chaos theory important?

Chaos theory has applications in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and even social sciences. It helps us understand the underlying patterns and behavior of complex systems, which can have practical implications in predicting and controlling these systems.

3. What are some key concepts in chaos theory?

Some key concepts in chaos theory include the butterfly effect, strange attractors, and fractals. The butterfly effect refers to the idea that small changes in initial conditions can have a significant impact on the outcome of a system. Strange attractors are patterns that emerge in chaotic systems, and fractals are self-similar patterns found in many natural systems.

4. Is chaos theory difficult to understand?

While the mathematical concepts behind chaos theory can be complex, there are many introductory books that explain the concepts in a more accessible way. With some effort and patience, anyone can understand the basics of chaos theory and its applications.

5. Can you recommend a good introductory book for chaos theory?

There are many great books on chaos theory, but some popular choices include "Chaos: Making a New Science" by James Gleick, "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos" by Steven Strogatz, and "Chaos: A Very Short Introduction" by Leonard Smith. It's best to choose a book that aligns with your level of mathematical understanding and interests.