Good introductory books in the Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, a college undergraduate with double majors in mathematics and computer science is interested in quantum cryptography and wants to pick up a book on quantum mechanics to further their understanding. They are looking for an introductory book with clear exposition and have heard of authors like Griffiths, Shankar, and Sakurai but are unsure of their rigor and clarity. They are currently taking analysis, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics courses and have not taken any physics or differential equations courses. They have been recommended the "Feynman Lectures", which is suitable for undergraduate students with no background in introductory physics or differential equations. It is suggested that they can jump to Volume III without reading Volumes I and II, and they can also watch Feynman's videos
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum friends,

I am a college undergraduate in US with double majors in the mathematics and computer science. I have been doing research in the theoretical computer science, and I recently got interested in the quantum cryptography. Since I cannot take any physics course until next Fall, I thought it would be a good idea to pick up a book or two on the quantum mechanics and read them as I delve more into the quantum cryptography, which I plan to do on December.

I am not looking for a serious book on the quantum mechanics (i.e. something like Rudin-PMA version) but I am looking for an introductory book that has a clear exposition. I searched the forum a bit, and I found that authors like Griffiths, Shankar, and Sakurai are frequently mentioned. However, I am not sure of their rigorousness or exposition. Could you recommend one or two introductory books? Also I see that there are books of quantum physics and quantum chemistry...Are they totally different from the quantum mechanics?

Background: I am currently taking Analysis I (Rudin-PMA), Linear Algebra with Proofs (Hoffman/Kunze & Friedberg), and Discrete Mathematics (Knuth). Unfortunately, I did not take any physics and differential-equations courses...I hope that lack of background is a serious problem for studying the quantum mechanics.

PK

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
Feynman Lectures

Dear Dr. Courtney,

Thank you for the recommendation. Is the "Feyman Lectures" suitable for the undergraduate students with no background in the introductory physics and differential equations? My analysis and linear algebra courses did not yet get to the differential equations. It seems that the Volume III treats the quantum mechanics. Do I need to read Volume I and II before the Vol. III?

bacte2013 said:
Dear Dr. Courtney,

Thank you for the recommendation. Is the "Feyman Lectures" suitable for the undergraduate students with no background in the introductory physics and differential equations? My analysis and linear algebra courses did not yet get to the differential equations. It seems that the Volume III treats the quantum mechanics. Do I need to read Volume I and II before the Vol. III?

You can jump tp Vol. III. Feynman's treatment does not require diff eq, and can be understood without Vol I and II. It is likely more introductory than most other books you might get.

You may also check out his videos here: http://www.richard-feynman.net/videos.htm

What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as atoms and photons.

Why is it important to learn about Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a fundamental theory that helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It has numerous applications in technology, such as in the development of computers, lasers, and medical imaging devices.

What are some good introductory books on Quantum Mechanics?

Some popular introductory books on Quantum Mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili.

Do I need a strong background in physics to understand Quantum Mechanics?

While having a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand the concepts of Quantum Mechanics. Many introductory books provide clear explanations and examples to make the subject more accessible to readers.

Are there any online resources for learning about Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about Quantum Mechanics, such as video lectures, online courses, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Quantum.gov. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses on Quantum Mechanics through platforms like Coursera and edX.