Good multivariable calculus book?

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a good calculus book. The person is currently using Multivariable Calculus by James Stewart and doesn't like it. They ask for recommendations and two options are suggested: Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba and Advanced Calculus of Several Variables by C. H. Edwards. Another book, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Mary L. Boas, is also mentioned as a good option.
mohdhm
hey everybody,

I'm currently using the book Multivariable Calculus by james stewart 6E and i have to say... it SUCKS. SUCKS just like his single variable calculus book that we are forced to by at university.

So I really need a good book, which one would you guys recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba

Edit: Stewart is not a bad book, save the lack of rigor...

mohdhm said:
I'm currently using the book Multivariable Calculus by james stewart 6E and i have to say... it SUCKS. SUCKS just like his single variable calculus book that we are forced to by at university.

So I really need a good book, which one would you guys recommend?

Can you be more specific about what you dislike in the book you cited (with which I am not familiar)? In lieu of that information, I'll just toss out two books I think might be generally useful, or which are at least not the book you dislike :wink:

Kaplan, Advanced Calculus is probably not too bad if you just want to learn to work computations.

IMO, one of the all-around best "mathematical methods" books (covers usual vector calculus, plus complex variables, ODEs, PDEs) is Mary L. Boas, Mathematical Methods In The Physical Sciences, Wiley, 2006.

Last edited:
Is there anything else you need besides volume 2 of Apostol?

What are the key features to look for in a good multivariable calculus book?

A good multivariable calculus book should have clear and concise explanations, numerous examples and practice problems, visually appealing illustrations and diagrams, and a comprehensive index and table of contents for easy navigation.

What are some recommended multivariable calculus books for beginners?

Some popular multivariable calculus books for beginners include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Multivariable Calculus" by James D. Norris and John G. Coltman, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex.

Are there any online resources that supplement a multivariable calculus book?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a multivariable calculus book, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These platforms offer video lectures, practice problems, and interactive exercises to reinforce concepts learned from the book.

Is it necessary to have a background in single-variable calculus before studying multivariable calculus?

Yes, a strong understanding of single-variable calculus is essential for success in multivariable calculus. Multivariable calculus builds upon concepts and techniques learned in single-variable calculus, such as derivatives and integrals.

What are some real-life applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has many real-life applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables and dimensions, such as optimization, motion, and change in multiple variables.