1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good multivariable calculus book?

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    hey everybody,

I'm currently using the book Multivariable Calculus by james stewart 6E and i have to say... it SUCKS. SUCKS just like his single variable calculus book that we are forced to by at university.

So I really need a good book, which one would you guys recommend?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2
    Consider Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba

Edit: Stewart is not a bad book, save the lack of rigor...

4. Sep 9, 2007 #3
  5. Sep 9, 2007 #4

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Can you be more specific about what you dislike in the book you cited (with which I am not familiar)? In lieu of that information, I'll just toss out two books I think might be generally useful, or which are at least not the book you dislike :wink:

Kaplan, Advanced Calculus is probably not too bad if you just want to learn to work computations.

IMO, one of the all-around best "mathematical methods" books (covers usual vector calculus, plus complex variables, ODEs, PDEs) is Mary L. Boas, Mathematical Methods In The Physical Sciences, Wiley, 2006.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  6. Sep 9, 2007 #5
    Is there anything else you need besides volume 2 of Apostol?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?