Good Website for Unit Conversions

• Thread starter Lyuokdea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the conversation is discussing the search for a good website for unit conversions, specifically for high energy physics. One person suggests using Google's built-in unit converter, while another recommends a standalone program called OmniCon. They also mention a website that can convert between different units, including unconventional ones like esu/emu. The conversation ends with gratitude for the suggestions.
Lyuokdea
I need to find a good website with unit conversions especially for high energy physics. For instance a place that has length, mass, time etc defined in terms of energy with electronvolt conversions etc.

I've been looking on the web for awhile but haven't been able to find a good one, does anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Google has a built-in unit converter.

For example, you can type in "1eV=", and it will give you the answer in Joules. It has loads of units built in, I've never needed to use anything else for conversions.

I don't particularly care for website calculators and such if I can help it. The best units conversion program I have come across is free for 45 uses and has an extensive set of units built in. Plus, you can add any conversions you are missing. The program is called OmniCon and can be downloaded in a few places. iCrank is one place:

http://icrank.com/cgi-bin/pageman/pageout.cgi?path=/shareware.htm&t=4

Look about half way down under the heading "Our Selections" and you'll see a link for it.

Brew: I didn't know that about Google. Damn those guys think of everything, don't they?

FredGarvin said:
Brew: I didn't know that about Google. Damn those guys think of everything, don't they?

They do indeed, I discovered it by accident!

I forgot to say, if you ever wind up at the eng-tips.com website, don't use their units converter, or if you do be very wary about the answers it gives!

I frequent eng-tips but didn't notice a converter. That's why I like stand alones like OmniCon. You can see the conversions used if you ever have doubt.

with google you can also type things like "1 mile in centimeters" as well as "1ev=". google also acts as a basic calculator which can sometimes be better than the default windows calculator as you can write out a long calculation and then get google to evaluate it.

Can't find it now (I think I have this bookmarked in my lab computer) but there's a website that will convert quantites between units as well. For instance if you give a distance and ask to convert it to energy, it will give you (h*c)/distance.

http://Newton.ex.ac.uk/research/qsystems/people/fall/vuc-1.2/converter.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, that's a bit good isn't it!

Thanks Gokul.

I don't think google does esu/emu or any other cgs units.

1) What is the purpose of a website for unit conversions?

A website for unit conversions is designed to help users easily convert between different units of measurement, such as length, weight, volume, and temperature. It eliminates the need for manual calculations or searching through conversion tables, making it a convenient tool for everyday use.

2) How accurate are the conversions on these websites?

The accuracy of unit conversions on websites can vary depending on the source of the data and the algorithms used. It is important to choose a reputable website that uses reliable sources and regularly updates its conversion rates to ensure accurate results.

3) Are there any limitations to the units that can be converted on these websites?

Most websites for unit conversions offer a wide range of units to convert between, but there may be limitations depending on the specific website. Some websites may also offer additional features, such as currency conversions or historical units, while others may only focus on common units of measurement.

4) Can these websites be accessed on mobile devices?

Many websites for unit conversions are designed to be mobile-friendly and can be easily accessed on smartphones and tablets. Some may even offer a dedicated mobile app for even easier access on-the-go.

5) Are there any alternative methods for converting units besides using websites?

Yes, there are alternative methods for converting units, such as using conversion tables or manually calculating the conversion ratio. However, websites for unit conversions offer a quick and convenient option for accurate conversions, especially for complex units or multiple conversions at once.