Unit conversions involving Pascals

• Thread starter chriscarson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary: I will need a very basic lesson to understand this .No problem! There's plenty of resources online to get you started. Take a look at some of these links:https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/514070/what-does-the-exponentiation-of-negative-numbers-meanhttps://math.stackexchange.com/questions/214553/what-is-the-meaning-of-the-exponentiation-of-negative-numbers
chriscarson
Thread moved from a technical forum
Summary:: Pascal units digits

Do somebody have a chart that converts pascals , mega pascals etc to units to know how many digits or zeros there are after the point please ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Theres' nothing special about pascals. Kilo is 1000, mega is 1000000 etc.

So for example when you have the result of 15 625 000 N m 2 how you put in pascals ? 15 625 kPa ?

Thanks

chriscarson said:
So for example when you have the result of 15 625 000 N m 2 how you put in pascals ? 15 625 kPa ?

Thanks

Yes, ##1 \text{ Pa} = 1 \text{ N} \text{m}^{-2}## by definition. Like @Vanadium 50 alluded to, the SI prefixes are general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71 and chriscarson
etotheipi said:
Yes, ##1 Pa = 1 Nm^{-2}## by definition. Like @Vanadium 50 alluded to, the SI prefixes are general.

So 1 Pa = 0.01Nm with tha little -2 ?

chriscarson said:
So 1 Pa = 0.01Nm with tha little -2 ?

No, ##\text{N} \text{m}^{-2}## is equivalent to ##\frac{\text{N}}{\text{m}^{2}}##! It has no relevance to the prefix whatsoever!

Likes chriscarson
etotheipi said:
No, ##Nm^{-2}## is equivalent to ##N/m^{2}##! It has no relevance to the prefix whatsoever!
Ok
Thanks . Have to study more about these to understand.

chriscarson said:

Thanks

You seemed like you had it here! You can think of units sort of like algebraic quantities. To do the conversion, you could write down

##15625000 \text{ N}\text{m}^{-2} = 15625 \times 10^{3} \text{ N}\text{m}^{-2} = 15625 \text{ kN}\text{m}^{-2} = 15625 \text{ kPa}##

just like you obtained. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find that you won't really need to think at all/write all of that junk out!

Likes chriscarson
etotheipi said:
You seemed like you had it here! You can think of units sort of like algebraic quantities. To do the conversion, you could write down

##15625000 Nm^{-2} = 15625 \times 10^{3} Nm^{-2} = 15625 kNm^{-2} = 15625 kPa##

just like you obtained. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find that you won't really need to think at all/write all of that junk out!

I notice you made always a -2 on the m .

chriscarson said:
I notice you made always a -2 on the m .

##m^{-2}=\frac{1}{m^2}##

Likes chriscarson
Mister T said:
##m^{-2}=\frac{1}{m^2}##

It s ok I give up . But thanks anyway for your help .

etotheipi said:

##15625000 Nm^{-2} = 15625 \times 10^{3} Nm^{-2} = 15625 kNm^{-2} = 15625 kPa##

And it's very important to typeset units in roman (upright), it should read
$$1 \, \text{Pa}=1 \, \text{N} \, \text{m}^{-2}=1 \, \frac{\text{N}}{\text{m}^2}$$
etc.

• Informative
Likes chriscarson and etotheipi
vanhees71 said:
And it's very important to typeset units in roman (upright), it should read
$$1 \, \text{Pa}=1 \, \text{N} \, \text{m}^{-2}=1 \, \frac{\text{N}}{\text{m}^2}$$
etc.

Ah that's useful, never knew \text{} was a thing! My latex is dreadful...

Likes chriscarson and vanhees71
Mister T said:
##m^{-2}=\frac{1}{m^2}##
chriscarson said:
It s ok I give up . But thanks anyway for your help .
Have you never seen negative exponents used to indicate reciprocals? $$10^{-2}=\frac 1 {10^2} = \frac 1 {100}$$ $$x^{-3} = \frac 1 {x^3}$$ etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes scottdave
jtbell said:
Have you never seen negative exponents used to indicate reciprocals? $$10^{-2}=\frac 1 {10^2} = \frac 1 {100}$$ $$x^{-3} = \frac 1 {x^3}$$ etc.
No . I finished school early now I m taking a course .

chriscarson said:
No . I finished school early now I m taking a course .
The meaning for negative exponents follows naturally from the law of exponents:$$x^{a+b}=x^a \times x^b$$
If you have an exponent ##-a##, it then follows that:$$x^{-a} \times x^a = x^{-a+a} = x^0$$ By definition(*), ##x^0=1## so we can write: $$x^{-a} \times x^a = 1$$ If we divide through by ##x^a## that yields: $$x^{-a} = \frac{1}{x^a}$$

(*) One might quibble about the grounding definitions for exponentiation. But I like to start with the idea that an empty product yields the multiplicative identity (1) just like an empty sum yields the additive identity (0).

• Wow
Likes chriscarson
jbriggs444 said:
The meaning for negative exponents follows naturally from the law of exponents:$$x^{a+b}=x^a \times x^b$$
If you have an exponent ##-a##, it then follows that:$$x^{-a} \times x^a = x^{-a+a} = x^0$$ By definition(*), ##x^0=1## so we can write: $$x^{-a} \times x^a = 1$$ If we divide through by ##x^a## that yields: $$x^{-a} = \frac{1}{x^a}$$

(*) One might quibble about the grounding definitions for exponentiation. But I like to start with the idea that an empty product yields the multiplicative identity (1) just like an empty sum yields the additive identity (0).
I will need a very basic lesson to understand this . I started from the middle of the subject. but thanks

chriscarson said:
I will need a very basic lesson to understand this . I started from the middle of the subject. but thanks
You could start with Wiki. Though a textbook might be better.

jbriggs444 said:
You could start with Wiki. Though a textbook might be better.
I will but I m focusing on what the exams will be about and we stopped to work out stress , strain, and young modulus because it s an assistant technician course.

chriscarson said:

First of all it would be 15 625 000 N/m². That's 15 625 000 Newtons of force on each square meter of area. This would be, by definition, 15 625 000 Pa. And since there are 1000 pascals in a kilopascal, it would be equivalent to 15 625 kPa.

Likes chriscarson
this one it s ok i fully understood it

chriscarson said:
I will but I m focusing on what the exams will be about and we stopped to work out stress , strain, and young modulus because it s an assistant technician course.

Yes, but they will expect you to understand unit prefixes and exponents. What you are learning builds upon them. Knowledge is cumulative. If you have a gap, it will come up again and again until it's filled.

Likes vanhees71 and chriscarson
Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, but they will expect you to understand unit prefixes and exponents. What you are learning builds upon them. Knowledge is cumulative. If you have a gap, it will come up again and again until it's filled.

Yes it s true

Some thing more I met and can t find the mistake is,when finding the area of a circle with 25 mm radius.
When calculating in mm the result is 1964 mm
When calculating in m the result is 0.00196375 m

When converting 0.00196375 m to mm it gives me 1.96375 m not as the first result of 1964 mm

chriscarson said:
Some thing more I met and can t find the mistake is,when finding the area of a circle with 25 mm radius.

When converting 0.00196375 m to mm it gives me 1.96375 m not as the first result of 1964 mm
An area should be expressed using a unit of area, such as square meters or square millimeters.

The conversion factor between square millimeters and square meters is 1,000,000.

Likes chriscarson
jbriggs444 said:
An area should be expressed using a unit of area, such as square meters or square millimeters.

The conversion factor between square millimeters and square meters is 1,000,000.

jbriggs444 said:

So it s true to have different result ?

chriscarson said:
So it s true to have different result ? And the 0.00196375 m squared is ok in exams ?

chriscarson said:

Try it this way: ##\pi r^2 = \pi (0.025 \ \text{m})^2##.

Mister T said:
Try it this way: πr2=π(0.025 m)2πr2=π(0.025 m)2.

That s exactly what I did

Last edited:
chriscarson said:
That s exactly what I did
But you messed up the units. Note that @Mister T suggested you carry the units in the calculation.$$\pi \times 0.025 \text{m} \times 0.025 \text{m} = 0.0019635 \text{m}^2$$Which is different from$$0.0019635\text{m}$$

jbriggs444 said:
But you messed up the units. Note that @Mister T suggested you carry the units in the calculation.$$\pi \times 0.025 \text{m} \times 0.025 \text{m} = 0.0019635 \text{m}^2$$Which is different from$$0.0019635\text{m}$$

yes apart of the units , the answer is 0.00196375 m 2 , is it acceptable in an exam ?

chriscarson said:
yes apart of the units , the answer is 0.00196375 m 2 , is it acceptable in an exam ?
Yes, almost certainly. The units I would expect area to be reported in would be square meters.

However... The rules for significant figures suggest that less precision should be reported. And the calculated result you give is incorrect in the last two digits.

Likes chriscarson
jbriggs444 said:
Yes, almost certainly. The units I would expect area to be reported in would be square meters.

Ok . thanks again

<h2>1. What is the standard unit for pressure in the metric system?</h2><p>The standard unit for pressure in the metric system is the Pascal (Pa). It is defined as one Newton per square meter (N/m²).</p><h2>2. How do I convert Pascals to other units of pressure?</h2><p>To convert Pascals to other units of pressure, you can use the conversion factor of 1 Pa = 0.00001 bar, 1 Pa = 0.000145 psi, or 1 Pa = 0.01 millibar. Simply multiply the number of Pascals by the appropriate conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.</p><h2>3. How do I convert other units of pressure to Pascals?</h2><p>To convert other units of pressure to Pascals, you can use the conversion factor of 1 bar = 100,000 Pa, 1 psi = 6,894.76 Pa, or 1 millibar = 100 Pa. Simply multiply the number of the given unit by the appropriate conversion factor to get the equivalent value in Pascals.</p><h2>4. What are some common examples of pressure measurements in Pascals?</h2><p>Some common examples of pressure measurements in Pascals include atmospheric pressure (101,325 Pa), blood pressure (120,000 Pa), and tire pressure (200,000 Pa).</p><h2>5. Why is it important to use the correct units when measuring pressure in Pascals?</h2><p>It is important to use the correct units when measuring pressure in Pascals because it allows for accurate and consistent comparisons between different pressure measurements. Using the wrong units can lead to errors and misunderstandings in scientific data and calculations.</p>

1. What is the standard unit for pressure in the metric system?

The standard unit for pressure in the metric system is the Pascal (Pa). It is defined as one Newton per square meter (N/m²).

2. How do I convert Pascals to other units of pressure?

To convert Pascals to other units of pressure, you can use the conversion factor of 1 Pa = 0.00001 bar, 1 Pa = 0.000145 psi, or 1 Pa = 0.01 millibar. Simply multiply the number of Pascals by the appropriate conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.

3. How do I convert other units of pressure to Pascals?

To convert other units of pressure to Pascals, you can use the conversion factor of 1 bar = 100,000 Pa, 1 psi = 6,894.76 Pa, or 1 millibar = 100 Pa. Simply multiply the number of the given unit by the appropriate conversion factor to get the equivalent value in Pascals.

4. What are some common examples of pressure measurements in Pascals?

Some common examples of pressure measurements in Pascals include atmospheric pressure (101,325 Pa), blood pressure (120,000 Pa), and tire pressure (200,000 Pa).

5. Why is it important to use the correct units when measuring pressure in Pascals?

It is important to use the correct units when measuring pressure in Pascals because it allows for accurate and consistent comparisons between different pressure measurements. Using the wrong units can lead to errors and misunderstandings in scientific data and calculations.