1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Got a call from a company I did not apply too

1. Nov 15, 2013 #1
    I am not sure how this company found me (I'm thinking Monster or LinkedIn - I didn't want to ask) and they want to do a technical interview Monday for a position as a patent classifier. I was told by the woman I spoke to this evening that a patent classifier is a very analytical job that also requires lots of "on the job" research. I told her that sounds right up my alley, but to be honest I have no idea what a patent classifier does beyond the obvious. I'm sure I'll get exposed to tons of new ideas and inventions, which sounds exciting. I'm sure I'll learn a great deal about them as well, but again I have no idea what this learning process entails. If anyone can provide some insight that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2013 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, you have the opportunity to follow in Einstein's footsteps :tongue:

4. Nov 15, 2013 #3

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't speak at all to what patent classification entails, but I would caution you against assuming that because they called you, you 'have the job'. My current job, in many ways the best I've had, arose from a call from the the company when I wasn't looking (was relatively happily working somewhere else) - but it still involved their standard battery of tests and interviews. It turned out that people I had previously worked with had passed through this company and recommended me - but that only triggered the contact. Everything else was the same as their normal, rigorous hiring practice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook