Got a call from a company I did not apply too

In summary, the speaker was contacted by a company for a technical interview for a position as a patent classifier. They were told that the job requires analytical skills and on-the-job research. The speaker expressed excitement about the opportunity to learn about new ideas and inventions, but also mentioned not knowing much about the learning process. The conversation ended with a caution about not assuming the job is guaranteed just because they were contacted by the company.
Aero51
I am not sure how this company found me (I'm thinking Monster or LinkedIn - I didn't want to ask) and they want to do a technical interview Monday for a position as a patent classifier. I was told by the woman I spoke to this evening that a patent classifier is a very analytical job that also requires lots of "on the job" research. I told her that sounds right up my alley, but to be honest I have no idea what a patent classifier does beyond the obvious. I'm sure I'll get exposed to tons of new ideas and inventions, which sounds exciting. I'm sure I'll learn a great deal about them as well, but again I have no idea what this learning process entails. If anyone can provide some insight that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, you have the opportunity to follow in Einstein's footsteps :tongue:

I can't speak at all to what patent classification entails, but I would caution you against assuming that because they called you, you 'have the job'. My current job, in many ways the best I've had, arose from a call from the the company when I wasn't looking (was relatively happily working somewhere else) - but it still involved their standard battery of tests and interviews. It turned out that people I had previously worked with had passed through this company and recommended me - but that only triggered the contact. Everything else was the same as their normal, rigorous hiring practice.

What should I do if I receive a call from a company I did not apply to?

If you receive a call from a company you did not apply to, the first thing you should do is research the company to make sure it is legitimate. You can also ask the caller for more information about the job and the company to verify their credibility.

Why would a company call me if I didn't apply?

There are a few reasons why a company may call you even if you didn't apply. They may have found your resume online, received a referral from someone in your network, or obtained your contact information from a job fair or networking event.

Should I answer the call if I don't recognize the company?

It is up to your discretion whether you want to answer the call or not. If you are actively job searching, it may be worth answering to see what the company has to offer. However, if you are not interested in job opportunities at the moment, you can choose not to answer or politely decline their offer.

Is it common for companies to call candidates without prior application?

Yes, it is common for companies to reach out to potential candidates even if they did not apply for a specific job. This is because they may see potential in your skills and experience and want to offer you a job opportunity.

What should I do if I am not interested in the job offer?

If you are not interested in the job offer, you can politely decline the offer and thank the company for considering you. It is also a good idea to keep the company's information in case you change your mind in the future or if they have other job openings that may interest you.