Got an astrophysics/ astrodynamics question....

In summary, a solar system would need to have the same mass and gravity as Earth, as well as the same orbital period.
Oracle1
How would a solar system need to be set up to provide a life bearing world, standard 1 g, with the surface area of Jupiter with a standard day / night 24 hour cycle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oracle1 said:
How would a solar system need to be set up to provide a life bearing world, standard 1 g, with the surface area of Jupiter with a standard day / night 24 hour cycle?
I think that would work if the Earth were the size of Jupiter and made of styrofoam. Since it's mass, not diameter, that determines orbit, the Earth would have the same orbital period and with the mass the same as Earth, but being made of styrofoam (approximately) it would have the surface area of Jupiter.

Of course, it's hard to figure how you could have a planet made of styrofoam or any equivalently weighted matter.

What about outside celestial influences creating a constant counter gravitational effect?

All the mass but the desired gravity.

Oracle1 said:
What about outside celestial influences creating a constant counter gravitational effect?
what about them?

All the mass but the desired gravity.
OOPS. I forgot to state that of course the gravity on the surface of the styrofoam planet would be way less than on Earth because same mass but much greater diameter

Thanks! But darn it, I'm going to have to figure something out! I need this planet to have standard mass and gravity. (though the thought of a Styrofoam planet is amusing.)

I don't really want to Sci Fi this. I'm going to be bending just about every other rule into a pretzel for this story.

My thinking is: if space is infinite with the possibility of infinite variety, then there must be some version of a solar system that could support a planet like this.

I just wanted... NEEDED really, some help figuring out how to set it up.

Oracle1 said:
My thinking is: if space is infinite with the possibility of infinite variety, then there must be some version of a solar system that could support a planet like this.
Learn the math of planetary orbits and figure out if one is possible, but a surface the size of Jupiter but gravity same as Earth is going to mean a styrofoam (or equivalent) planet. Period.

Well, That seems to put that idea to rest. Thanks for the feedback phinds.

1. What is astrophysics and astrodynamics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects and phenomena. Astrodynamics deals with the motion and trajectory of objects in space, specifically spacecraft and other man-made objects.

2. How are astrophysics and astrodynamics related?

Astrophysics and astrodynamics are closely related as they both involve the study of objects and phenomena in space. While astrophysics focuses on the physical properties and behavior of these objects, astrodynamics is concerned with their motion and trajectory.

3. What are some common topics in astrophysics?

Some common topics in astrophysics include cosmology, stellar and galactic evolution, planetary science, and the study of dark matter and energy.

4. How is astrophysics used in our everyday lives?

Astrophysics has a variety of practical applications in our everyday lives. For example, it helps us understand the origins and structure of the universe, develops technologies for space exploration and communication, and contributes to weather forecasting and satellite navigation systems.

5. What skills are needed to study astrophysics and astrodynamics?

To study astrophysics and astrodynamics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to analyze and interpret data. Computer programming skills are also useful for conducting simulations and data analysis.